TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging Near Massanutten, VA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by tangent, Dec 28, 2018.

1. tangent

tangent Member

Hi, I am looking around Massanutten and notice the nearest Superchargers are miles away. I am thinking of bringing my kids (and in-laws ...) there for two days, and would try to avoid any range anxiety. I see a few Level 2 stations near the resort but not sure how occupied they are, and a few in nearby Harrisonburg.

I wonder anyone have first-hand experience with visiting there and sharing some tips on what you find working for you. Thanks.

p.s. My Model X is a 90D with estimated range of 245 miles.

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

No experience at the location. But lots of experience charging.

At you destination, you want to look for L2/Destination Chargers and even 120V plugs. Dependent on what you are doing, a 120V plug can be an optimal solution. It depends on how much driving you will be doing on site. From empty, maybe 36 hours to charge, but if you aren't using the car, who cares?
    For level 2 chargers, at the resort, it seems to be showing a 14-50 plug off of a parking lot. Charging at a 14-50 will take up to 6 hours, dependent on your charge level. They usually aren't busy, but it is polite etiquette to unplug when finished, so that someone else can use it.

Make sure that you have PlugShare app on your other phone or web access. Get to know how to use it, there's a LOT more information than just the location of the plug. Look at the reliability score. Look at the user reviews. Look at the charging currents. Look at the costs. And most importantly , log your visit, so others can get your experience.

Also try to combine any charging with other events. If there is a restaurant with a L2 plug, use it (120V isn't worth the effort for an hour). A recent trip from Ft Lauderdale to Atlanta only needed an extra 30 minutes for charging. All other charging stops were combined with biology requirements.

Have a great trip.

3. crashvt

crashvt Member

There is 14-50 there - so you will need your cable. If you don’t want the hassle of charging and you are staying on resort - Mt. Jackson is not very far and you can do a charge to 90%. That should be plenty to use while you are there and make it back to charge.

• Like x 1