TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging near Siesta Key

Discussion in 'Florida' started by pgiralt, Jun 22, 2014.

1. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Hello Florida owners,

Now that I know the Tampa supercharger won't be available in time for my road trip next week, wanted to get some advice on charging in Siesta Key. I'll be coming down I-95 and supercharging all the way down to Port Orange, then cutting across on I-4 and then down I-75 to Siesta Key. Google says it's 191 miles door to door, so I will probably range charge in Port Orange to give me some buffer.

I was hoping to find a 110V outlet where I'm staying, but the folks on the phone weren't terribly helpful, so I'm not holding my breath.

I probably won't be doing much driving while I'm there and we'll be staying for a week, so what I really need is to make sure I can charge when I get there so I'm not at a low SoC and then before I leave, I'll need to Range Charge again so I can make it back to Port Orange.

Looking on Plugshare, I see RPM Exotics is only about a mile away from where we're staying and they have a NEMA14-50, so that's probably the fastest and closest place. We're driving down with some friends, so I can probably get someone to pick me up and take me back to pick up the car. Has anyone else ever charged at RPM? I'm going to give them a ring this week.

My backup plans are the Publix on Bee Ridge Rd and the Florida House Institute which are nearby.

I'm really hoping I can just find a 110V outlet and be done with it, but want to have my bases covered.

Any other advice?

2. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Welcome to the Sunshine State.

I think that your game plan makes sense. The Publix charger is expensive so if RPM Exotics doesn't work out I would try Florida House. You will need a ChargePoint card to gain access, but it should be free. When I charged there I believe it was at 22 mph.

If you plan on spending some time shopping and dining at Saint Armands Circle they have two free chargers in the Filmore Street Parking Lot.

If you run into problems contact me at [email protected].

Larry

3. gfountain1

gfountain1 Member

Nissan on bee ridge has been welcoming of my tesla, even for overnight charging. The charge point Publix on bee ridge is always ice'd by the same car every time I go by strangely.

4. Seven7

Seven7 Member

If you plan on going to Mote marine (just west of St. Armands) there's a charger there, its a good backup if the Filmore st. parking lot is ICEed kind of surprised no one mentioned that one yet. Also the downtown Palm ave parking garage has four 30 amp chargers.

5. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Thanks for all the tips everyone! Will follow up after my trip to report back on what worked best in case anyone else out there makes the trip.

6. Larry Chanin

Hi Joe,

I did mention the Filmore Street Parking lot.

The Palm Avenue Garage is an excellent location for someone spending time in downtown Sarasota during the day. However, it should be noted that it doesn't remain open overnight.

Larry

7. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Just got off the phone with RPM Exotics and they were super friendly. They've got a variety of options and I'll probably just use the 14-50 there to charge up. Thanks again for everyone's advice and I'll let you all know how it goes.

8. Larry Chanin

Could you please tell us what the other options are?

Thanks.

Larry

9. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

They have at least one 30A 240V J1772 in addition to the 14-50 at the location near Siesta Key plus some 120V J1772's, but apparently they have some other location closer to the airport where they also have a HPWC as well.

10. Seven7

Seven7 Member

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks Larry :smile:

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Larry,

I was parked in Palm Ave garage recently till late at night. All the lift gates were removed and covered with canvas and there were plenty of cars looking like they were being left overnight. Maybe it does close at some time but I don't recall signage and there's definitely no gates/barriers.

Pgiralt,

theres also free charging in the bay front car park on the north side of Marina Jacks.

12. Larry Chanin

Hi Nigel,

I was just reporting on the basis of the city's webpage: http://www.sarasotagov.org/POD/G_Parking.cfm

Larry

13. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Saw this thread and knew Nigel would chime in. Hope all is great in Sarasota - As soon as time allows, it's Beantown to Marina Jacks for us. Will be great road trip.

14. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Jim, I pass your dad's house multiple times a week. Always wondering if we're going to see you down here. :)

Larry, possibly access to the garage has been changed now the season is over?

15. Larry Chanin

I have no idea.

As you know there are a number of hotels nearby without charging and if the garage were opened overnight it would be a partial solution to overnight Destination Charging.

Larry

16. Larry Chanin

I called the city. They said that overnight parking at the Palm Avenue Garage is not permitted at any time of the year. The city representative stated that even though the garage is not gated in the evening it is "managed" at night and parking overnight will result in a $35 ticket.

Larry

17. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

So turns out the condo we are renting at Siesta Breakers has covered parking with 110V outlets every 6 parking spaces or so - not close enough without an extension cord, but with a 25 ft 12 gauge cord, it's not a problem. Got here with 15 miles of rated range to spare but already made it north of 200 off the 110V. Also ended up taking the kids down to the MOTE aquarium where there was a HPWC I used for a little while to get up to 90% charge (only 48A, but still great, so thank you to whoever provided that). The folks at RPM Exotics also provided me with the lock code for their 14-50 outlet which it looks like I won't have to use. All in all, this town seems very EV friendly and won't have any issue getting back home! Thanks again to everyone who replied.

18. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

That would be me. :)

19. Larry Chanin

Welcome to Sarasota!

Yes, and in addition we are working with a couple of luxury hotels here to see if we can pursuade them to install some HPWCs and/or high capacity J1772 chargers.

Larry

20. MajesticSound

MajesticSound Up is LOUDER

Larry, any word on what's the holdup with the Tampa Supercharger?