Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging noise normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 40 miles range left and at the Super charger.
e955113b5f6554b13b5c3cfeaa87e165.jpg

Is it normal to sound like a 747 when charging?

Ha, when I was charging in Springfield, Oregon (I believe it was there) it the fan noise was ridiculous.

But, then I realized the car was sitting above a man hole cover that was massively warm.

So all the air under the car was really warm. I've never seen the air above a man hole cover so warm, but the heat was definitely coming from it. Some aliens must have been down there.

The car A/C is working hard to cool the pack. (Charging, especially at high power (=supercharger) will cause heating of the batteries.)

The radiator of the car are in the front of the car, they vent to the front and in the wheel arches.

It completely normal, and has already been mentioned multiple times on the forums.

As others have stated it is completely normal. The car has a radiator on the drivers side in the front. This is what cools the battery pack when super charging.

I have seen examples of a supercharger site where all the cars had the 747 sound on, it sounded like being in a windtunnel ;)

My car has never, ever under any circumstances made any noise when Supercharging. Other cars around me sound like jets ready for takeoff. I've made an enquiry at my Service Center and they said they'd pull logs. They said with the lack of any warnings I might see on the dash, the pack is probably just not hot enough to warrant a/c use. Fair enough, but I wonder what makes my car so much cooler than everyone else around me?

The car A/C is working hard to cool the pack. (Charging, especially at high power (=supercharger) will cause heating of the batteries.)

The radiator of the car are in the front of the car, they vent to the front and in the wheel arches.

It completely normal, and has already been mentioned multiple times on the forums.

The last couple of times I have supercharged and been with the car, a lot of hot air has been venting from one wheel arch (left side as I recall) but not much at all has been venting from the other wheel arch. Is that normal? Should hot air be venting from both wheel arches?

My car has never, ever under any circumstances made any noise when Supercharging. Other cars around me sound like jets ready for takeoff. I've made an enquiry at my Service Center and they said they'd pull logs. They said with the lack of any warnings I might see on the dash, the pack is probably just not hot enough to warrant a/c use. Fair enough, but I wonder what makes my car so much cooler than everyone else around me?

Maybe it's an A pack benefit.

The last couple of times I have supercharged and been with the car, a lot of hot air has been venting from one wheel arch (left side as I recall) but not much at all has been venting from the other wheel arch. Is that normal? Should hot air be venting from both wheel arches?

I'd guess the radiator design is symetric (ie. should vent as much in both wheel arches), but don't know for sure. (I don't have a MS.)

Someone else will have to chime in on that one.

You're in Toronto, right?

In warm climates the BMS set off the battery cooling system and often we have the a/c running too. The combination is indeed noisy, but there is nothing wrong. In cold weather you'll rarely if ever hear those sounds, the hotter the weather and the longer the charge session the more the batteries heat and the more cooling they demand. Two choices exist IMHO:
1. Ignore it;
2. record it in order to prove that EV's can indeed be noisy.

Maybe it's an A pack benefit.

I wondered if it was an artifact of the slower Supercharging, but I actually had a Sig owner with an A-pack tell me that his car's a/c does indeed kick in when Supercharging.

- - - Updated - - -

You're in Toronto, right?

In warm climates the BMS set off the battery cooling system and often we have the a/c running too. The combination is indeed noisy, but there is nothing wrong. In cold weather you'll rarely if ever hear those sounds, the hotter the weather and the longer the charge session the more the batteries heat and the more cooling they demand. Two choices exist IMHO:
1. Ignore it;
2. record it in order to prove that EV's can indeed be noisy.

Yeah, but in my case, the car is perfectly silent even when it is very hot, and other cars are humming away like mad.

- - - Updated - - -

I was taken aback by all the noise the 1st time I got out of my car at a supercharger... thankfully there were 2 other cars charging up at the time and they sounded the same so I figured it was normal.

Yes, and this is what has me concerned. Mine seems to be the only quiet car. Tesla says if my battery was hot, I'd get some sort of warning on the dash, but how would I see if if I'm outside the car?