Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Non Tesla EV with Tesla UMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model X and love it. I think its the best Daily Driver you can buy (but Gf is driving it LOL). My other car is a BMW M3, I leased it a couple years ago and now the lease is coming to an end. To replace it, I want a practical cheap EV (Bolt, Volt, I3, Leaf) doesn't really matter. It will be just a car i can take from point a to point b. Something to drive while i wait a couple years for a roadster. It has to be a lease, this eliminates Model 3. After driving a Tesla X75 and feeling the immediate power delivery, (turbo M3 cant match it) I want roadster.

So, I charge my Model X with a Nema 10-30 dryer outlet. I have a Gas buddy that splits dryer and the UMC (works great recommend it). I want to know if there is an adapter that i can connect to a a UMC and charge other Ev's. I saw a video from old thread of an I3 charging and some Kikstarter project.

This community is amazing and i would love any good solutions. Really would like to get an Ev as a lease.

I have a Model X and love it. I think its the best Daily Driver you can buy (but Gf is driving it LOL). My other car is a BMW M3, I leased it a couple years ago and now the lease is coming to an end. To replace it, I want a practical cheap EV (Bolt, Volt, I3, Leaf) doesn't really matter. It will be just a car i can take from point a to point b. Something to drive while i wait a couple years for a roadster. It has to be a lease, this eliminates Model 3. After driving a Tesla X75 and feeling the immediate power delivery, (turbo M3 cant match it) I want roadster.

So, I charge my Model X with a Nema 10-30 dryer outlet. I have a Gas buddy that splits dryer and the UMC (works great recommend it). I want to know if there is an adapter that i can connect to a a UMC and charge other Ev's. I saw a video from old thread of an I3 charging and some Kikstarter project.

This community is amazing and i would love any good solutions. Really would like to get an Ev as a lease.

I don't know if there's a UMC to other adapter. Since the MX came with an assortment of adapter; I would think it would be easier to get a 10-30 J1772 to fit the new car, and then use the supplied Tesla adapter to plug into the X. It's probably the quickest and easiest way and your new car might even come with a J1772 cord already.

Derek Thank you. This is what I was looking for. It’s not that expensive and I don’t mind trying it out.

Yinn I agree it might have been easier to go the other way and charge the Tesla with the provided adapter, but I already have everything in place. Don’t want to change things if I can avoid it.

Last edited:
To change Model X I am using Tesla 10-30 Adapter to physically limit to 30 amp. Will this adapter work the same way on other ev. Will it be automatically limited to 30amps

Yes. The UMC communicates the limit to your Tesla using standard J1772 protocols and it would give any other car the same 30A max pilot signal and they should understand it.

I actually don't think there are any non-Tesla EVs in the U.S. that can do more than 30A on an AC source right now, though.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes. The UMC communicates the limit to your Tesla using standard J1772 protocols and it would give any other car the same 30A max pilot signal and they should understand it.

I actually don't think there are any non-Tesla EVs in the U.S. that can do more than 30A on an AC source right now, though.

The maximum charge power of the following cars:

16 amps or less (3.8kW at 240 volts):

Nissan LEAF (2011-2012), Chevy Volt, Chevy Spark EV, Toyota Prius Plug-In, Ford C-Max Energy, Ford Fusion Energy, ZERO motorcycle (2015 and newer with J1772), Brammo motorcycle, Smart Electric Drive, Ford C-Max Energi, Karma Fisker, Mitsubishi iMiev, Cadillac ELR, Porshe Cayenne S-E, Porsche Panamera S-E, Honda Accord Plug-In.

30amps or less (7.2kW at 240 volts):

Nissan LEAF (2013 and newer at 28 amps, however some are 16 amps), VW eGolf, Kia Soul EV, BMW i3 and i8, Ford Focus Electric, Fiat 500e, Honda Fit EV, Fiat 500e.

32 amps

Bolt EV (7.7kW at 240 volts)

Tesla Model 3 Standard Range

40 amps or less (9.6kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model S - 2012-2015

Mercedes B-Class ED / B250e

2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV

48 amps or less (11.5kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model S (2016 and newer)

Tesla Model X

Tesla Model 3 Long Range

70 amps or less (16.8kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Roadster (requires firmware update to use any charge station over 70 amps)

72 amps or less (17.3kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model X with optional 72 amp charger

80 amps or less (19.2kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model S with optional "twin chargers" (2012-2015)

Reactions: abasile
Great info.
I was thinking i3 because the dealer is giving me 4000$ off the next BMW if I return lease early. Offer should be for any BMW not just the new M3 lease. But will double check.
Unfortunately dealer is in LA area and I am in Bay Area 300 miles away. Not sure how long it will take me to drive back. Maybe they can ship it.