Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging non-tesla vehicle on a tesla charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read here and other places that you can charge non-Tesla vehicles on Tesla (non-supercharger) chargers. I have a Tesla to non-Tesla adapter but can't figure out how to pay for the charging. Talking to Tesla support about it is like banging your head on a brick wall. I am a Tesla customer with a Powerwall and have a Tesla account and the app. I am also on the list and waiting for a Cybertruck but I have some routes I travel that have Tesla destination chargers but no public non-tesla chargers on the route. Can anyone provide me with information on how to charge, please?

Tesla destination chargers, like are at hotels/restaurants/etc. don't charge for their use. Though the locations hosting them may only allow them for customers, or charge a fee for their use for non-customers. But as far as I know you can only see the details about a destination charger on the map in a Tesla, so you would have to contact the place you want to charge and ask them what their policy is.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The above info is correct. Tesla does not own the destination chargers. They are owned by the location. Some are free and open to the public, others require you to be a customer of the business.
The best source for info is Plugshare, available both as an app and a website.

• Informative
I have been using Plugshare but for some reason the route I am taking (Phoenix to Show Low, AZ) there are very few chargers of any kind and most are Tesla. The ones I was hoping to use are in the town of Superior, AZ and this is what the details say;

Tesla Destination
Tesla destination chargers
Destination Charging | Tesla

I take that to mean that Tesla owns these which, from what you folks have been telling me, I can not use because they are Tesla owned destination chargers? There is a hotel in Globe with a their own tesla charger and I think I have found an RV park that has one of each. It charges with fewer amps than Superior but I guess I'll have to try that one.

thanks for all your comments

So far, Tesla Destination Chargers do not have any payment mechanism at all. There have been hints and messages from Tesla that the new Gen 3 Wall Connector will eventually have the option of collecting a fee for charging. This would presumably work like a Supercharger where the station reads the VIN of the Tesla vehicle through the charging cable and links to the owner's Tesla account. The new part would be the back end payment system for Tesla to send money to the site host. With all that said, it has not been released yet and I don't know of any way for a Tesla Destination Charger to enforce a charging fee today.

• Informative
Reactions: Ampster and Rocky_H
I have read here and other places that you can charge non-Tesla vehicles on Tesla (non-supercharger) chargers. I have a Tesla to non-Tesla adapter but can't figure out how to pay for the charging. Talking to Tesla support about it is like banging your head on a brick wall. I am a Tesla customer with a Powerwall and have a Tesla account and the app. I am also on the list and waiting for a Cybertruck but I have some routes I travel that have Tesla destination chargers but no public non-tesla chargers on the route. Can anyone provide me with information on how to charge, please?
Most Tesla destination chargers are free so you don't have to pay. The hotel or site will charge you if they want to.

So far, Tesla Destination Chargers do not have any payment mechanism at all. There have been hints and messages from Tesla that the new Gen 3 Wall Connector will eventually have the option of collecting a fee for charging. This would presumably work like a Supercharger where the station reads the VIN of the Tesla vehicle through the charging cable and links to the owner's Tesla account. The new part would be the back end payment system for Tesla to send money to the site host. With all that said, it has not been released yet and I don't know of any way for a Tesla Destination Charger to enforce a charging fee today.

I saw another thread recently about someone who was charged (by Tesla) for using a destination charger, so apparently it’s starting to happen.

• Informative