Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging not working at home on 110v

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first plug in it takes about 30 secs to confirm it will not charge.

Does the voltage come up here? Does the relay click shut in the UMC? I understand that you probably don’t know what is “normal” since it has never worked, but it should make a clicking noise if I recall correctly (Wall Connectors do - it has just been a while since I used my UMC.)

Aiming to try somewhere else seems like a fine plan if you want to spend the time, but this should just work unless there is something terribly wrong with your electrical service. If it is not an emergency - sounds like you have easy charging elsewhere? - I would try to minimize time spent to resolve the issue.

Tesla store

I meant the service center BTW. Just make sure wherever you go has spare UMCs...

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
One more thing to check... Are the two pieces of the UMC fully seated/connected? Try taking them apart and reconnect them.
78A811C4-5AC8-453D-98FD-B539B0D4DFF9.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Your photo says 2 Volts. You need about 120 Volts.

This is what happens when the relay is not closed. It seems like it must not be closing otherwise presumably we would have gotten a picture of that state with a non-zero voltage. The car knows it is plugged in but the relay never energizes I suppose.

Similar issue here (error message sounds close but maybe not exactly the same). UMC was replaced.

Unable to Charge, Check Charging Equipment Model 3

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
As GREYSTEED says, be sure that outlet actually has a functional ground wire. You might have a 3 prong 120V outlet, but the ground prong may not be connected to anything at all. This can be the case in older houses - there may not be a ground wire to the outlet. Homeowners will frequently replace the original two prong outlet with a 3 prong outlet to simplify their lives. This won't work with the mobile charger, which will definitely look for a valid ground.

As GREYSTEED says, be sure that outlet actually has a functional ground wire. You might have a 3 prong 120V outlet, but the ground prong may not be connected to anything at all. This can be the case in older houses - there may not be a ground wire to the outlet. Homeowners will frequently replace the original two prong outlet with a 3 prong outlet to simplify their lives. This won't work with the mobile charger, which will definitely look for a valid ground.

Without a ground the UMC red light should flash twice with no green lights, so this is not consistent with the described behavior.

Not clear whether @gelabela will follow up with final resolution but with the info so far, I would still guess a defective UMC (defective relay or relay control circuit).

@gelabela, did you ever figure out what was wrong with your UMC?
Hi! I am still trying to figure it out. I haven't had time to check another outlet in a different location yet. I've checked to make sure the cables were attached correctly. I actually have a mobile appointment with a tesla rep in a few weeks. I plan to just talk to them then to figure out what's going on. I'll update everyone when I figure it out in case it can help others. Thanks!

Without a ground the UMC red light should flash twice with no green lights, so this is not consistent with the described behavior.

Not clear whether @gelabela will follow up with final resolution but with the info so far, I would still guess a defective UMC (defective relay or relay control circuit).

My car initially charged about 45 minutes before the UMC faulted out. After it faulted it would no longer work on that outlet.

Update! I was finally able to get into Tesla to get my UMC checked out. They confirmed it was not working even though it was brand new. They tried to order a new one but it was backordered with no expected date.

I had a mobile appointment today to fix some of the latches on the car. The tech had an extra UMC cable for me! I brought it home and now my car is charging! Albeit at a turtle’s pace (1 mile per 20 mins) but I’ll take it!