Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Octopus

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
I recently had a smart meter (v1) installed with a view to going onto Octopus Go. The Octopus readings are showing online but they do not appear to tally with my own figures. As an example I have a period of charging in the Octopus info below (before they had switched me to "Go" so it was not cheap rate period). I know that I was charging at 7kW+ because I checked the car via the screen and the app during charging and I have data from the Zappi MyEnergi app that also shows solid 7kW charging for the period. However this is not what the Octopus graph shows. This is consistent with the Octopus graphs for charging on other occasions, including at night now that I am on "Go". Any thoughts?
Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 11.21.34.png

Bernard_S

Jun 21, 2019
Kettering UK
The vertical scale on the bar chart is kWh - kilowatthours - i.e energy usage. The 7kW figure you mention is Kilowatts - i.e. power. The bar chart appears to have 2 bars per hour so energy usage between 17:00 and 18:00 is 2x4kWh, i.e. 8kWh. 7kW for one hour equals 7kWh, and the other 1kWh is your other (non-charging) usage?

Good point, the graph shows 1/2 hr usage intervals. I was being a bit thick.:(

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
The vertical scale on the bar chart is kWh - kilowatthours - i.e energy usage. The 7kW figure you mention is Kilowatts - i.e. power. The bar chart appears to have 2 bars per hour so energy usage between 17:00 and 18:00 is 2x4kWh, i.e. 8kWh. 7kW for one hour equals 7kWh, and the other 1kWh is your other (non-charging) usage?

Of course! You are absolutely right but it was just not obvious to me. Funnily enough I had already got my head around the fact that the graph wasn't showing kW charging in real time but that it was an aggregation of usage over a block of time ... however the obvious requirement to add together 2 columns to give the consumption over an hour had not clicked until you pointed it out. Thanks!

*Adam

Oct 22, 2019
Somerset/Dorset

Spot on.

hours * kW = kWh; as Nigel suggests 0.5 * 7 = 3.5 KWh in a HH settlement period.

If anyone would like some bedtime reading : kW and kWh Explained - Understand & Convert Between Power and Energy

Boy isn't the energy industry facinating :D

TezzyMod3

May 30, 2019
London
How long after meter install did you guys go live? Mine still says ‘awaiting meter install’.
It has been 7days since install. Octopus say to wait 2 weeks?

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
How long after meter install did you guys go live? Mine still says ‘awaiting meter install’.

I had to prompt with an email ... they forgot they were supposed to be transferring me to GO! Once that was done they transferred the account within 24 hours.

Reactions: Roy W.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
I mean I’m still stuck here!
Did yours update as soon as the electrician left? View attachment 476635

No .. that's why I said I had to prompt them with an email. It was about 3 weeks later ... they lost track of the fact I was supposed to be being transferred. My online account did not show the smart meter was working so I thought there was a problem. The reply to my email told me that actually the meter was sending in the required readings and that I could be transferred immediately. I suggest you don't wait for things to happen automatically... that may happen but don't bank on it.

TezzyMod3

May 30, 2019
London
No .. that's why I said I had to prompt them with an email. It was about 3 weeks later ... they lost track of the fact I was supposed to be being transferred. My online account did not show the smart meter was working so I thought there was a problem. The reply to my email told me that actually the meter was sending in the required readings and that I could be transferred immediately. I suggest you don't wait for things to happen automatically... that may happen but don't bank on it.
Sorry I thought you meant your meter showed up but they didn’t transfer your tariff

I’ll drop them a line now :)

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
I’m up to 6.5 weeks since applying to switch to Go. Applied the same day the meter was installed. I’m stuck on the same step as @TezzyMod3

My Andersen charger is being installed on Monday. I naively thought 2 months would be more than enough time to change tariffs, but alas not.

Octopus CS have been friendly, but ultimately seemingly unable to progress anything.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC