Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging off whole home Generac generator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got an 18kW standby generator. I can charge off of it at 20-30A. However, if other large loads cycle on/off, it does cause voltage fluctuations which can cause the car to reduce the amperage.

It will charge on 120v all day long.

An article just recently came out comparing the diesel used by a Tesla charged from a generator and a 2.0L diesel engine car, Volvo 40 and the Tesla used less diesel than the Volvo for the same trip.

So not only can the Tesla charge from a generator, yes it can, but you should not feel bad about it because its still better carbon footprint doing so, rather than taking a different ICE car to the cabin if all you have there is a generator.

If seeing voltage fluctuation you can manually dial down the 240volt amperage rather than dropping all the way to 120volt.

A generator can be cleaner due to not having to deal with varying rpm and such, yes load changes but things can be optimized more than a car can. Not to mention not having the aero drag of radiators and the underside of a typical ICE

A generator can be cleaner due to not having to deal with varying rpm and such, yes load changes but things can be optimized more than a car can. Not to mention not having the aero drag of radiators and the underside of a typical ICE

While this is true, the class of generators we're talking about generally don't have nearly the level of sophistication and efficiency that's common in a modern car engine - port injection or even direct injection, variable valve timing. Lots of things car companies do to add power and efficiency and improve emissions that make a car engine much more expensive than a generator even with the higher economies of scale.

Fortunately, the better efficiency of the EV during operation largely compensates for the difference.

While this is true, the class of generators we're talking about generally don't have nearly the level of sophistication and efficiency that's common in a modern car engine - port injection or even direct injection, variable valve timing. Lots of things car companies do to add power and efficiency and improve emissions that make a car engine much more expensive than a generator even with the higher economies of scale.

Fortunately, the better efficiency of the EV during operation largely compensates for the difference.
Current diesel cars have to do a lot to compensate for the widely varying loads and environmental conditions. Diesel generators operate at a fairly steady load making them much easier to tune.
EV powered by diesel generator is cleaner and more efficient than a diesel car.

Yeah even simple things like the slick underside of a Tesla which is hard to do with an ICE because the exhaust system needs cooling are part of the equation.

Much of the fancy stuff on modern engines cost a LOT and really doesn't help all that much. In know people with vehicles that shut down cylinders that swear it hurts economy. The VVT, direct injection and such are there not only to improve efficiency but to expand the efficiency range. A vehicle engine having to operate over a wide rpm range introduces a lot of compromise. In racing applications power can be increased by having the intake valve open at the same time as the exhaust, then the exhaust pulse pulls the fresh air thru the chamber scavenging things more thoroughly, with port injection this results in fuel being pulled thru as well and sent out the tailpipe. Direct injection can let you use that principle without wasting the fuel. VVT let's you do that at varying rpm but not at idle where it causes a poor idle quality.

The fuel enrichment to accelerate in a car application is extra waste and emissions where a generator gets by on a more "slow and steady" approach.

Without the broadly varying operating conditions of a car engine a generator doesn't need all the complicated crap

mspohr posted while I was typing slowly. Love the "new posts, would you like to load?" option on this forum.

Reactions: mspohr
Hmm.. maybe time to buy a Lister engine to drive the generator and fuel the thing off waste vegetable oil. Power the HPWC and use the waste heat to heat garage in winter...

If I use the Tesla to collect the oil and use the generator to run the centrifuge to get it clean... this would be a net zero closed loop carbon neutral system for my transportation needs.

I've already got the centrifuge and storage tanks for oil, because that's how I fueled my Mercedes 300D.

Hmmm. Seriously thinking about it. Off grid Tesla.

Reactions: Olds442
I purchased a Propane Generator from Central Maine Diesel a few years ago.

20 HP Honda engine, Italian generator head.
Paid about $2300 plus shipping via Paradise Freight which was a few hundred.
I see the price is just a bit higher now... But the one I want most is Yuchai which i saw from a website.

Recently it blew a capacitor. Central Maine sent me 2 for the price of one even though it is out of warranty. $39 total for two.

I looked at generators set on island but a similar Honda at Quality electric was close to $6000 and it wasn't even a 13750kw. More like 8 or 9000kw if I remember right.....

They have many generators at great prices but this is the one I settled for.
Quiet, no smell, propane lasts forever........

We just installed a 22kW Guardian Generac generator. My Tesla wall charger normally pulls 48 amps when fed from the electric utility. But when on the generator, it ramps up to about 20 amps and then hovers there, swinging up and down a few amps. This does cause some low frequency flickering in the LED lights in my garage. If I limit the charge to 12 amps, the charger holds that level rock solid and my lights don't flicker.

Has anyone had similar experience with charging off a 22 kW Generac or other generator? I can live with the slower charge time, but just wondering if this indicates I have a problem with the generator. The generator was running at less than half load.

Appreciate any feedback.