TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging on European Ferries

Discussion in 'Europe' started by jackie, May 10, 2014.

1. jackie

jackie Member

#1 jackie, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
    Thought it was time I posted my experience with charging on ferries to/from the UK and any charging possibilities.
    So far I have the following:

1. P&O Ferries Europort to Hull
    Crossing takes approximately 15 hours so charging on the boat is useful.
    Two boats currently on this route, Pride of Hull and Pride of Rotterdam
    I mention this as the UMC will only work on the Pride of Hull.
    The Pride of Rotterdam has centre tapped earth which the current UMC does not support.
    You will need a plug conversion as the sockets on both boats are the small blue 3 pin 16amp single phase.
    You need to turn it down to 10amp otherwise it will drop out during the voyage.
    I found it best to book with priority loading so they can find you a space next to a socket.
    However on Pride of Hull you do loose the priority offloading as their sockets are not in the priority area of the car deck.

2. P&O Ferries Calais to Dover
    Crossing takes about one and half hours so charging on the boat is not very useful.
    No charging on board.

3. Eurotunnel (not a ferry but a way across the Channel :wink:)
    No charging either at the terminal or on board the trains
    Actual crossing takes about 35 minutes so charging on train is not very useful.
    I always book for "higher than 1.85m" so I get a place in the wider carriage as the normal carriage is only just wider than the Model S.

Please add your experiences of charging on-board ferries in Europe to this thread.

2. Hans69

Hans69 Member

Hi Jackie,

Great initiative! I'm this weekend in Mallorca (Ferry Barcelona - La Palma) - and noticed just a Tesla here - he probably charged on the ferry - I'm currently looking around to see if i can have a chat with this guy. Maybe we have to create an online Excel sheet with the info, containing: Ferry Company | Route From-To | Vessel Name | Available charging options | Instruction to reserve parking space | Link

3. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Why not use Plugshare instead of creating a spreadsheet?

Just put the marker on the route line at each port --and include info in the details...

4. fredag

fredag Member

A self-converted EV started a fire while charging onboard the ferry Pearl of Scandinavia between Copenhagen and Oslo in 2010. Thus, ever since, charging has not been allowed on large ferries between Norway and Denmark/Germany. Although the cause of the fire was officially never found.

http://www.vg.no/forbruker/reise/reiseliv/forbyr-elbil-lading-paa-fergene/a/10019100/

Some domestic ferries allows charging in both Norway and Denmark. But typically, if you call ahead and ask to reserve an outlet for charging, you will just be told that EVs are not allowed to charge while on board.

5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Irish ferries have J1772 charging on some of their ships to the UK and to France.

Electric Cars | Irish Ferries

Daniel74 reported that he was allowed to charge on the ferry between Portsmouth and Bilbao. I'd also like to know if their other routes are covered.