Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging on Irish Ferries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning a trip to family in NI later this year and will be taking the Holyhead Dublin route. I see there is free charging on board and would like to know if anyone has had any experience of using it? I see there is an option to reserve when booking which is great.

should hopefully avoid having to charge up between the port and my destination

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NewbieT

That'd be useful on the Plymouth-Spain ferries which would free up the dash to a charger.

When we arrived at Santander, however, we decided to lodge at the parador Argomaniz that had a Destination Charger.

Pleasant room in historical building, dinner a la Fawlty Towers :)

The charger was in a building across the road. Tight manoeuvering required. No charge for the juice.

Attachments

• IMG_20200729_212741.jpg
    IMG_20200729_212741.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 4,562
That'd be useful on the Plymouth-Spain ferries which would free up the dash to a charger.

When we arrived at Santander, however, we decided to lodge at the parador Argomaniz that had a Destination Charger.

Pleasant room in historical building, dinner a la Fawlty Towers :)

The charger was in a building across the road. Tight manoeuvering required. No charge for the juice.
Thai should happen: I know Brittany ferries are planning to put chargers on their ships. I hope the Pont Aven is the first one for all the long trips she does.

P and O are also looking into it but no firm plans yet.

• Love
Reactions: M3noob
Thanks for all the tips. Have now booked this for a mid December crossing. Very easy to reserve through Irish Ferries. Zap map suggests it’s a 7kw charger so hoping to added a good 60-80miles depending on the crossing length.

as I am driving with young kids it should hopefully negate one of my charge stops. That said, we are always having to stop for them. If only they decided to ‘go’ in close proximity to supercharges....

will let you all know how we get on.

Reactions: M3noob and Neilio
If only they decided to ‘go’ in close proximity to supercharges....

will let you all know how we get on.

Hmm that sounds risky given all the high voltages and all ....

There are superchargers at the Applegreen services (north and southbound) at Castle Bellingham which are not normally busy (and on the motorway you'll be taking if you're heading Belfast direction) The services themselves are decent for kids having a play area and "reasonable" food.

I do overnight trip from Portsmouth to Brittany often. Arriving with a good SoC after a free top up on the ferry would be ideal!

When we do the return of this trip, it often ends up in a cannonball run to a French port so knowing that we could charge on the ferry would be very reassuring. Also, now it is impossible to switch the car alarm off, we have to use dog mode on the Ferry, which requires 20%+ battery to operate.

However, more than anything else, I think it is a great step in helping convince the Telegraph reading 'I won't buy an electric car until it can drive 650 miles without refuelling like my Jag' that EVs are workable vehicles for longer journeys.

Reactions: Neilio
When we do the return of this trip, it often ends up in a cannonball run to a French port so knowing that we could charge on the ferry would be very reassuring. Also, now it is impossible to switch the car alarm off, we have to use dog mode on the Ferry, which requires 20%+ battery to operate.

However, more than anything else, I think it is a great step in helping convince the Telegraph reading 'I won't buy an electric car until it can drive 650 miles without refuelling like my Jag' that EVs are workable vehicles for longer journeys.

At around 12 mpg in city driving my Jag actually has less range than my SR+!

20170628_214745.jpg