Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging on NEMA 5-15 @ 0F (-17C)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I will need to charge my Model 3 on a 15amp 110V wall plug this weekend, but the daytime high in my area is going to be -16C (3F). Does anyone have experience charging at these temps? I usually get 7km/h (4.35m/h) of range added (even at below freezing temps like -5C (23F)). I'm concerned that when it's at best -16C it'll be expending energy just warming the battery and I won't get much/any charging. Will need charge to get home!

Anyone with experience charging a model 3 at these temps on a basic wall plug, I'd love any insight!

I don't have experience charging that cold, but I know your charging speed is going to depend on the temperature of the battery. The best advice I could give is to begin charging as soon as you arrive and your battery is hopefully warm. This way you will be able to charge at 4 miles per hour at least until the cold reduces the temperature to below freezing, at which all energy will be spent warming battery. No charging can happen when battery temperature is below freezing .

I have read some accounts of MS not being able to gain any charge on L1 in these conditions. I would be curious to hear about your experience but realistically you need to find a L2 charger like TexasEV says. Good luck and keep us posted.

I have read some accounts of MS not being able to gain any charge on L1 in these conditions. I would be curious to hear about your experience but realistically you need to find a L2 charger like TexasEV says. Good luck and keep us posted.

Yeah, I am not sure we have had anyone explicitly come to the forums and say that charging absolutely did not work on L1 due to the cold? Perhaps it can put a small amount of power into the battery even without the pack being warm?

This would be good to know!

P.S. Is there a dryer plug where you will be staying that you could use even if it required getting an extension cord for it?

I do that on a regular base since my car is in an underground unheated parking with 120v available. (I live in Montreal).
If the car is cold, when start charging it will take a bit of time for the battery to warm up (a couple hours maybe but i never timed it), after that it will charge at the regular rate.
So practivally the app will tell some crazy numbers until the battery has warmed up and then it will reduced to the regular charging time.

• Informative
Reactions: swaltner
Again today. Temp is -15c.

I had to take the car for an unplanned short drive of a few km. So the car was very cold.
At the end of my drive, i still had the flake. So i plugged it to charge. At first it was showing me remaining time : 23hr.
But after a couple hours it showed me 6h30 min remaining.
Obviousely i am not charging the whole battery. My point is that you will charge at the regular 110v rate regardless of the temperature once the battery has warmed up.