Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging on Road Trips for Newbie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am picking up my first Tesla (and my first EV) on Friday . . . It is about 5 hours from our house, and we plan on taking it for a couple days for a long weekend.

Since I have never done a road trip in an EV, have a couple of questions.

• Do I just follow the trip/map recommendations in the Tesla to decide when to pull over to charge?
  • When I arrive at my destination for the weekend, I see there is supercharger about 2 miles away. Do you "fill up" when you get there, or typically wait until you are leaving?
  • I see a lot of people say NOT to use the mileage estimate on the screen for battery, but use the percentage. I know it's not very accurate (it uses EPA estimate, not real life). If you use the percentage, what percent do you start to "get worried at"?
Any insight would be helpful!

Thanks

Reactions: John E.
Before you leave for your trip make sure you know your Tesla account credentials (email, password). Log in to your Tesla account and set up a valid credit card or debit card so you can use the Supercharger Network. Test using the Supercharger network before you leave on your trip to verify that you can charge.

You can use the Tesla Navigation system with confidence, always stop to charge when the route planner indicates a charging stop. When on a trip select the next Supercharger as your destination or waypoint so that the Tesla Model Y will fully precondition the battery for fastest Supercharging. Plan to arrive with less than 30% state of charge at the Supercharger. Stop Supercharging when the battery has reached 80% (charging above 80% is much slower, takes longer than it is worth to reach 90% or above). Plan your trip knowing that you will stop in another 2 hours for 15 to 30 minute charging session at a Supercharger.)

You can gauge whether to charge upon arrival at your destination by how much battery charge is remaining upon arrival, whether you plan to drive the Tesla vehicle much or at all before you depart. If you leave Sentry mode active this will cause a battery usage of 6 to 7% every 24 hours, so you may need to charge upon your arrival at your destination if you plan to leave Sentry mode turned on. If you decide to use a Supercharger upon arrival you could charge to less than 80%, perhaps 60% knowing you will be driving some before returning home. Then plan stop to charge at the Supercharger a second time, this time to 80%, before you depart for home.

Everyone's comfort level is different as far as range anxiety and remaining state of charge. (It turns out my comfort level is about 20% (~50ish miles of driving range.) If you guess wrong and have to drive further than anticipated due to a detour or a Supercharger that is out of service (it happens) then you will still be confident that the Tesla Model Y has enough remaining range to reach another charging destination.

Every Tesla Model Y comes with a Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter. This adapter enables you to charge at any public Level 1 or Level 2 charging station. Bring this adapter on your trip. Download the Plugshare app onto your phone to locate nearby public charging stations.

Another option, besides Supercharging is to charge using a DC Fast Charge station such as Electrify America, etc. To use a DC Fast Charge station you would need to purchase the Tesla CCS Combo 1 adapter from the Tesla.com online store or purchase a similar CCS1 adapter on Amazon (some of the CCS1 adapters now cost less than $100.) You would need an account and possibly need to download the app for each of the DC Fastcharge Networks you plan to use. The advantage is that you may find that DC Fast Charge network costs less than using the Tesla Supercharger network.

If you have time it is worth becoming familiar with A Better Route Planner (ABRP). ABRP is available as a phone app and on the web. ABRP can provide additional flexibility when planning a trip where you will need to charge along a trip route. The basic version of ABRP is free to use. The premium version includes real-time traffic and weather data when estimating charging stops, charging duration and costs for each charging stop and for the entire trip.

When you pick up your Tesla Model Y you may find that the battery is only charged to 30% state of charge (mine was.) You would need to stop at a Supercharger before setting off for home. If you contact your Tesla delivery team advisor and explain your situation they may be able to ensure that the battery is charged to a higher state of charge so you can begin driving without first stopping to charge. (Before delivery day be sure you have a valid credit card or debit card linked to your Tesla account so you can immediately begin using the Supercharger network.)

Last edited:
Before you leave for your trip make sure you know your Tesla account credentials (email, password). Log in to your Tesla account and set up a valid credit card or debit card so you can use the Supercharger Network. Test using the Supercharger network before you leave on your trip to verify that you can charge.

You can use the Tesla Navigation system with confidence, always stop to charge when the route planner indicates a charging stop. When on a trip select the next Supercharger as your destination or waypoint so that the Tesla Model Y will fully precondition the battery for fastest Supercharging. Plan to arrive with less than 30% state of charge at the Supercharger. Stop Supercharging when the battery has reached 80% (charging above 80% is much slower, takes longer than it is worth to reach 90% or above). Plan your trip knowing that you will stop in another 2 hours for 15 to 30 minute charging session at a Supercharger.)

You can gauge whether to charge upon arrival at your destination by how much battery charge is remaining upon arrival, whether you plan to drive the Tesla vehicle much or at all before you depart. If you leave Sentry mode active this will cause a battery usage of 6 to 7% every 24 hours, so you may need to charge upon your arrival at your destination if you plan to leave Sentry mode turned on. If you decide to use a Supercharger upon arrival you could charge to less than 80%, perhaps 60% knowing you will be driving some before returning home. Then plan stop to charge at the Supercharger a second time, this time to 80%, before you depart for home.

Everyone's comfort level is different as far as range anxiety and remaining state of charge. (It turns out my comfort level is about 20% (~50ish miles of driving range.) If you guess wrong and have to drive further than anticipated due to a detour or a Supercharger that is out of service (it happens) then you will still be confident that the Tesla Model Y has enough remaining range to reach another charging destination.

Every Tesla Model Y comes with a Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter. This adapter enables you to charge at any public Level 1 or Level 2 charging station. Bring this adapter on your trip. Download the Plugshare app onto your phone to locate nearby public charging stations.

Another option, besides Supercharging is to charge using a DC Fast Charge station such as Electrify America, etc. To use a DC Fast Charge station you would need to purchase the Tesla CCS Combo 1 adapter from the Tesla.com online store or purchase a similar CCS1 adapter on Amazon (some of the CCS1 adapters now cost less than $100.) You would need an account and possibly need to download the app for each of the DC Fastcharge Networks you plan to use. The advantage is that you may find that DC Fast Charge network costs less than using the Tesla Supercharger network.
Wow , thanks so much for the details. I'm sure after you take a couple trips, this will become second nature. I have already added credit card to the Tesla app, so that shouldn't be an issue. We are actually driving to the Tesla dealership (5 hours away) and then going directly out on our trip - so I can't test, but our destination is only about an hour away from Tesla, so I should be able to hit a supercharger that is close to our destination to check all is good (I looked, there is one 3 miles from our hotel), and still have plenty of charge in case of issues. I'll look into the CCS1 stuff after we get back - sounds like a good thing to have in emergencies to give you more options.

• Do I just follow the trip/map recommendations in the Tesla to decide when to pull over to charge?

Yes, that will work. What I like to do though is to plan out my route ahead of time with ABRP - that gives me an idea of what the trip will look like, and I can set my own parameters, like arriving with 10% battery left (I have a higher tolerance for range anxiety than others).

• When I arrive at my destination for the weekend, I see there is supercharger about 2 miles away. Do you "fill up" when you get there, or typically wait until you are leaving?

Do you have a Tesla Mobile Connector? Because what I like to do is to just arrive and plug the car into whatever the destination has. If you're at a condo that usually means a 15A household receptacle. Newer condos will have 20A receptacles, so I buy a Tesla 5-20 adapter for those for faster charging. If you're at a hotel, then inquire about charging options.

If you have no fill up options at your destination (something I always actively try to avoid), then make sure you have enough % remaining for any local driving you'll be doing there. Maybe at least 30% left, something like that?

• I see a lot of people say NOT to use the mileage estimate on the screen for battery, but use the percentage. I know it's not very accurate (it uses EPA estimate, not real life). If you use the percentage, what percent do you start to "get worried at"?

Right, I like to just use % and I've got a good feel for percentages now. I can arrive at Superchargers or destinations with 10% left assuming weather is normal (no big headwinds, rain, or extreme cold), and I have a fall back is things are looking like they are going south (Supercharger along the way). Planning the route out ahead of time with A Better Route Planner really helps here. Also, I then use Plugshare.com (with the Tesla Supercharger filter on), to see what other Superchargers are along the route.

For lots more info about road tripping, check out CarCharging.us

It is best to use the car (or any new to you product) close to home for a few days to make sure there are no initial kinks to work out prior to depending on it.

I still use miles rather than % because as the battery gets lower charge, the miles becomes more accurate. And rather than figuring out how far I can go on a charge, it just tells me. I care more about knowing if I have 10 miles left or not. And I don’t tempt fate to see how far it can go below zero. Wouldn’t be fun blocking traffic.

It is best to use the car (or any new to you product) close to home for a few days to make sure there are no initial kinks to work out prior to depending on it.

I still use miles rather than % because as the battery gets lower charge, the miles becomes more accurate. And rather than figuring out how far I can go on a charge, it just tells me. I care more about knowing if I have 10 miles left or not. And I don’t tempt fate to see how far it can go below zero. Wouldn’t be fun blocking traffic.
Unfortunately, since the Tesla dealership is 5 hours away, I have little choice, and our destination is about an hour away, so we should be good. Major roads with LOTs of superchargers on the way should make it easy. Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: SO16

I've twice picked up my Teslas at the factory (to get factory tours), six hours away. It works. The chances of something major going wrong with a brand new Tesla are very small.

You should bring some windshield washer fluid (the blue kind) as Tesla only puts enough washer fluid in the reservoir to keep the Add Washer Fluid warning indicator from coming on.)
That's interesting as I was just thinking that the reservoir must be bottomless as I haven't had to fill it since I got my car 15,000 miles ago. Which includes a nasty winter that needs a lot of fluid. Maybe I don't use as much as I think or maybe when I drop my car off for inspection or tire rotations they top it off for me. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Mr. Nuke
I am picking up my first Tesla (and my first EV) on Friday . . . It is about 5 hours from our house, and we plan on taking it for a couple days for a long weekend.

Road trips are fun!! After your first road trip, the anxiety goes way down.

For your first trip or two, just use the car navigation and go Supercharger to Supercharger, then to destination.

Aim to arrive with 20%, but don't worry if that changes to 10-15% as you drive. It's all good. Use the navigation arrival estimate, not the miles remaining displayed at the top of the screen (if you haven't switched to percentage yet).

Relax and enjoy!

I am going to go against the grain and say I prefer the rated miles to be displayed rather than the percentage, after driving Teslas for years. Yes, I know it’s EPA-rated and not real world, but:

1. It’s more granular than percentage. About 330 points rather than 100, which lets you know how much is in your battery with more precision
2. I know from my own experience that if I drive very conservatively (slower than normal, little climate control) I can beat the rated miles, so if it says 50 miles left, I know how to modify my driving in a pinch to get those 50 miles pretty much guaranteed. Just knowing the number of miles I know I’ll have if I need is helpful in a trip with frequently changing plans
3. As your car ages and the battery degrades, the car will decrease the rated range displayed to compensate, but the percentage never changes, so it sort of gets “watered down”. My old Model S was charging up to 236 at 100% when I sold it (not terrible for an old P85D), versus a little over 250ish when new, so “100%” didn’t always mean the same thing throughout the life of the car

If you plan to stream LTE audio or video (while parked) you would need to activate Premium Connectivity. The Tesla Model Y currently comes with a free 30 day trial of Premium Connectivity, after the 30 days you can pay $9.99 monthly or purchase 12 months for $99, plus tax. I don't know if the 30 day free trial is activated automatically when you accept the Tesla vehicle on delivery day.

Tesla Music is included with the Tesla vehicle, you don't have to have an account. In my opinion Tesla Music is very repetitive, you would want to at least get a free trial account of Spotify Premium (LPT: The free Spotify service with commercials will not work with the Tesla Spotify app. You need to have a Spotify Premium account. Spotify has a 2 month free trial of Spotify Premium service available. One of the better deals on Spotify is available through PayPal where you can get a 3 month free trial of Spotify Premium.)

You can also now stream Apple Music (requires an Apple Music subscription plan) and Tidal (requires a Tidal account.)

You can connect your phone to your Tesla Model Y via Bluetooth for making or receiving phone calls and to stream audio from your phone. Your phone would need a data plan to stream internet-based audio that is not stored on your phone as currently Tesla does not provide support for using the LTE service in combination with a Wi-Fi hotspot for your phone or other devices. You can listen to music in your iTunes library but ability to control playback from iTunes is limited.

Tune In Radio will let you stream FM and AM stations via the Tesla Premium Connectivity LTE service.

If you don't elect to purchase a subscription of Premium Connectivity you will still be able to use the Tesla Navigation system with maps but not the satellite imagery. Also, without Premium Connectivity there is no traffic information in populated areas and no Video Live Monitoring of the Tesla vehicle's cameras while the Tesla is parked with Sentry mode turned on.

Connectivity | Tesla Support

Tesla has started delivery of Starlink internet service at Supercharger locations. If you park at a Supercharger that has Starlink internet your Tesla Model Y will automatically connect to the Wi-Fi service at the Supercharger. Tesla can collect data from your Tesla vehicle and can download updates to the Tesla software if needed (you can decide when to install the update after it has been downloaded.)

You can stream Hulu, Netflix and Youtube (while the Tesla Model Y is parked) using Premium Connectivity. You would need to log in to your personal Hulu or Netflix account. I don't know if the Starlink internet service supports video streaming.

Tesla now supports Zoom calls using the driver facing camera and the built-in microphone.

Last edited:
You should bring some windshield washer fluid (the blue kind) as Tesla only puts enough washer fluid in the reservoir to keep the Add Washer Fluid warning indicator from coming on.)
This was the feeling i had with regards to state of charge when i picked up my Tesla.

After talking to other people it seems what i experienced was the norm but i still felt at bit let down.

The problem.

We live 110 miles from the tesla dealer where we had to pick up the car, they knew the distance we had to drive to get to our home address, but still, the car was delivered with only 30% SOT.

So we had to drive to the first charger on our way home to charge.

I am not expecting them to give me a full tank, but i think it would have been nice if they had looked at the distance they knew we were going to drive to get home, and charge it to whatever is needed + 10%.

I honestly think this was a bit stingy on their part, not to look at where people came from, and made sure they had enough charge to atleast get home, especially considering they asked us to pick up the car on a weekday at 6 pm with a 2 hour drive home. We opted to stop at the first supercharger on our way home and charge 21KW. This was back in March when the weather was colder.

This was the feeling i had with regards to state of charge when i picked up my Tesla.

After talking to other people it seems what i experienced was the norm but i still felt at bit let down.

The problem.

We live 110 miles from the tesla dealer where we had to pick up the car, they knew the distance we had to drive to get to our home address, but still, the car was delivered with only 30% SOT.

So we had to drive to the first charger on our way home to charge.

I am not expecting them to give me a full tank, but i think it would have been nice if they had looked at the distance they knew we were going to drive to get home, and charge it to whatever is needed + 10%.

I honestly think this was a bit stingy on their part, not to look at where people came from, and made sure they had enough charge to atleast get home, especially considering they asked us to pick up the car on a weekday at 6 pm with a 2 hour drive home. We opted to stop at the first supercharger on our way home and charge 21KW. This was back in March when the weather was colder.
I recently read on Reddit r/Tesla that Tesla recently sent a message to customers apologizing for having to only provide a 50% charge upon delivery. The region was not stated but believed to be EUR market. There are now regulations on transporting lithium batteries; must not be charged over 50%. Also, even before any regulation I believe that Tesla just does not have the time or delivery team resources to be able to charge every new Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
If you plan to stream LTE audio or video (while parked) you would need to activate Premium Connectivity. The Tesla Model Y currently comes with a free 30 day trial of Premium Connectivity, after the 30 days you can pay $9.99 monthly or purchase 12 months for $99, plus tax. I don't know if the 30 day free trial is activated automatically when you accept the Tesla vehicle on delivery day.

Tesla Music is included with the Tesla vehicle, you don't have to have an account. In my opinion Tesla Music is very repetitive, you would want to at least get a free trial account of Spotify Premium (LPT: The free Spotify service with commercials will not work with the Tesla Spotify app. You need to have a Spotify Premium account. Spotify has a 2 month free trial of Spotify Premium service available. One of the better deals on Spotify is available through PayPal where you can get a 3 month free trial of Spotify Premium.)

You can also now stream Apple Music (requires an Apple Music subscription plan) and Tidal (requires a Tidal account.)

You can connect your phone to your Tesla Model Y via Bluetooth for making or receiving phone calls and to stream audio from your phone. Your phone would need a data plan to stream internet-based audio that is not stored on your phone as currently Tesla does not provide support for using the LTE service in combination with a Wi-Fi hotspot for your phone or other devices. You can listen to music in your iTunes library but ability to control playback from iTunes is limited.

Tune In Radio will let you stream FM and AM stations via the Tesla Premium Connectivity LTE service.

If you don't elect to purchase a subscription of Premium Connectivity you will still be able to use the Tesla Navigation system with maps but not the satellite imagery. Also, without Premium Connectivity there is no traffic information in populated areas and no Video Live Monitoring of the Tesla vehicle's cameras while the Tesla is parked with Sentry mode turned on.

Connectivity | Tesla Support

Tesla has started delivery of Starlink internet service at Supercharger locations. If you park at a Supercharger that has Starlink internet your Tesla Model Y will automatically connect to the Wi-Fi service at the Supercharger. Tesla can collect data from your Tesla vehicle and can download updates to the Tesla software if needed (you can decide when to install the update after it has been downloaded.)

You can stream Hulu, Netflix and Youtube (while the Tesla Model Y is parked) using Premium Connectivity. You would need to log in to your personal Hulu or Netflix account. I don't know if the Starlink internet service supports video streaming.

Tesla now supports Zoom calls using the driver facing camera and the built-in microphone.
Thanks for all the info! I was planning on getting the Premium Connectivity, seems like based upon everything I've read, it's worth it on many levels. I also have Spotify Premium Family, it's what we use for our streaming music . . .

Any insight would be helpful!

Thanks
A dealer should prep the car prior to delivering it to you. Plastic removed from the seats, washed and charged. If the charge isn’t +/- 80% they are not doing their job. Tell them to charge it. I would not accept a $50k plus car with a 30% charge.

Heck, I got free writing pens, a drink holder and a few other freebies (Went into my wife’s purse so fast I didn’t see them).

I can’t believe the windshield washing bottle isn’t filled too. I never checked mine, but I’ve used it and never ran out.

Also make sure you get the charging adapter that comes with the car. It’s needed at most 3rd party charging locations.

A dealer should prep the car prior to delivering it to you. Plastic removed from the seats, washed and charged. If the charge isn’t +/- 80% they are not doing their job. Tell them to charge it. I would not accept a $50k plus car with a 30% charge.

Heck, I got free writing pens, a drink holder and a few other freebies (Went into my wife’s purse so fast I didn’t see them).

I can’t believe the windshield washing bottle isn’t filled too. I never checked mine, but I’ve used it and never ran out.

Also make sure you get the charging adapter that comes with the car. It’s needed at most 3rd party charging locations.
When I received notice that my Model Y had arrived at the local Tesla Sales and Service Center the Tesla Delivery Team representative said they needed several hours to prep the vehicle. I said they just need to make sure the wheels don't fall off upon delivery. The Tesla Delivery Team member just laughed (didn't disagree with my statement.)

Thanks for all the info! I was planning on getting the Premium Connectivity, seems like based upon everything I've read, it's worth it on many levels. I also have Spotify Premium Family, it's what we use for our streaming music . . .
Bring a roll of paper towels, a windshield cleaning tool (for extra reach) and some microfiber cloths. In my experience the best glass cleaner is Invisible Glass (the spray bottle not the aerosol can). Recently I have been trying out Hope's Perfect Glass Cleaner (can find this on Amazon) with good results (cleans glass without leaving streaks or haze). You need to keep the camera lenses clear else Autopilot and Autosteer may shut down if the cameras are blinded by glare from the sun as when the camera lens covers are dirty.

Reactions: pkmody