TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging on the Downs

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by raynewman, Mar 20, 2016.

1. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

We are looking at journeying out Stanthorpe way over easter. Does anyone know of any charging facilities out that way?

2. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

3. ColinA

ColinA Member

Funny you should bring this up, as we were thinking of a similar trip shortly. We have previously stayed at the Girraween environmental Lodge near Stanthorpe and loved it, and only yesterday I emailed them to enquire about what they might be able to offer with regard to charging facilities. I'll let you know what they reply. Here's their web site:

Girraween Environmental Lodge

4. ColinA

ColinA Member

I heard back from Girraween Lodge today. They have 3 phase power available. They are also very keen to set up as a destination charger location and I have Tesla talking direct to them. It should happen quickly.

5. *KT*

*KT* Member

Hi All, I wanted to update you all on this site. The Girraween Eco Lodge did install 2 tesla destination chargers.

They are attached to the laundry building and free for those staying at the lodge.

Getting out there from Brisbane was easy in one charge in my P100DX with about 100km left in the 'tank' when I arrived. That of course was going up Cunninghams Gap via Warwick and did include some Ludicrous moments, along with some slipstreaming of a Bdouble while on autosteer. It should be doable even for the smaller battery cars, potentially a quick topup at the Gatton Chademo and come out via Toowoomba instead. or if you have 3ph there are spots along the way according to plugshare which I had open - just in case I need a top up. Coming back is more simple because its downhill so to speak.

It was a lovely 4 day stay out there just before Christmas. Its out of mobile phone range FYI, so a complete break from technology for the kids (and parents) but to get into range is a quick 5 min drive up the road to the nearest winery, sample the local wares while you check your messages. The lodges are lovely and spacious with bedding and towels supplied. A full kitchen which is awesome for families with Aldi, Coles and Woolies in Stanthorpe about 20min drive away. The oven is the webber on the deck which made a lovely roast dinner one evening. Plenty of privacy between the lodges, you really are out in the QLD bush.
    We were there for the Geminid Meteor Shower event and we were not disappointed. Lovely view of the night sky and the meteors.
    During the day plenty of walks into the national park or drives to local wineries and produce shops etc etc. The froot was full of beautiful wine and food coming home.

I thoroughly recommend it. A short detour from the New England Highway on the route to Sydney for those who want to take the 3ph/destination charger route down south rather than the pacific superchargers. Or just simply do what we did and have a long weekend out of Brisbane to relax and recharge (literally and figuratively).

IMG_20171216_155909.jpg IMG_20171216_155935.jpg IMG_7360.JPG IMG_7392.JPG

Proving that idiocy in government is not a recent invention.
    IMG_20171214_131727.jpg

one of the local lizards. there were 3 at Wave Rock.
    IMG_20171215_121021.jpg

Plenty of these locals around the grasslands at the lodge IMG_7187.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
  6. PaulW

PaulW Member

Hey KT, thanks for the contribution and those pics.. Looks like a nice serene location and especially welcoming if you can charge up the EV. May have to check it out one day :)