Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging only at 16A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my Model Y P last Friday. Today is my first time to plug into Charge point 40A level 2 wall charger at work. But its only shoe charging at 16A. So anyone know what happens why its only charging at 16A rate even im using 40A charger. Thank you so much
Ps: im using adapter that came with the car to connect with Charge Point level 2 charger

Attachments

• 7C1CA9E7-45B8-4211-B6C2-D9AB653BE766.jpeg
    7C1CA9E7-45B8-4211-B6C2-D9AB653BE766.jpeg
    531.3 KB · Views: 266
  • 0DD30C29-4980-441B-80FF-A37AFF0E1EEB.jpeg
    0DD30C29-4980-441B-80FF-A37AFF0E1EEB.jpeg
    461.5 KB · Views: 131
The J1772 adapter is passive, it is not the reason. The wall connector announces a max of 16A available, that's what the car shows. Although that particular unit is capable of providing 40A, it has been configured to only provide 16A. Either it was installed that way on purpose (because the panel or wiring doesn't support more) or the installer did not configure it properly and it defaults to 16A when purchased.

Reactions: mongo
The charger point stated 40A, so assume its 40A charger. I also asked the guy who installed it and he said its 40A one. So do you think it has issue with the adapter that came with the car?
No. It is not the adapter's fault.

Each wall connector has its maximum Ampere specifications but it is up to the installer to set to a lower number or not. The installer needs to get Charge Point manual to see how to change its settings. Also, the installer needs to make sure the wiring are thick enough to support 50A with a 50A circuit breaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo
No. It is not the adapter fault.

Each wall connector has its maximum Ampere specifications but it is up to the installer to set to a lower number or not. The installer needs to get Charge Point manual to see how to change its settings. Also, the installer needs to make sure the wiring are thick enough to support 50A with a 50A circuit breaker.
Yeah, 50A breaker and wiring, but charging limit set to 40 Amps (in the US at least (derated for continuous load)).

Thanks

The J1772 adapter is passive, it is not the reason. The wall connector announces a max of 16A available, that's what the car shows. Although that particular unit is capable of providing 40A, it has been configured to only provide 16A. Either it was installed that way on purpose (because the panel or wiring doesn't support more) or the installer did not configure it properly and it defaults to 16A when purchased.
Thanks

Thanks

That's not how J1772 protocol works. The EVSE presents its maximum charge rate as configured, it does not inform the car of what it might do if set differently.
The denominator is what the EVSE can supply. The numerator is what the car is pulling.
Charge point set to 16 is x/16
Set to 40 is x/40
Car set to 16 (and pulling that) would be 16/40 or 16/40
Car with no limits would be 16/16 or 40/40

Point being, ?/16 means the EVSE is set to 16.

That's not how J1772 protocol works. The EVSE presents its maximum charge rate as configured, it does not inform the car of what it might do if set differently.
I've used Charge Point on my Tesla many times before and it displayed what the maximum the Charge Point allows:

The automatic default display in my Tesla was:

"40/40"

If I manually dial it down to 16, it would say:

"16/40"

Of course if I go to another one that only supplies 30A maximum, my display would default automatically to:

"30/30"

If I manually dial it down 16, it would say

16/30.

Reactions: outdoors and mongo
The denominator is what the EVSE can supply. The numerator is what the car is pulling.
Charge point set to 16 is x/16
Set to 40 is x/40
Car set to 16 (and pulling that) would be 16/40 or 16/40
Car with no limits would be 16/16 or 40/40

Point being, ?/16 means the EVSE is set to 16.
Yes, that's what I meant. I believe I misinterpreted Tam's post though.

Just because an EVSE is rated for 40a doesn't mean it will be wired for 40a or configured for it. Are there multiple chargers? It could be the parking lot only has a limited number of amps and it has to divide them up over the different EVSEs. Some smarter EVSEs can network and share the power (so if the others are not plugged in, you get all 40, but you get less if you have to share.) This doesn't look like they have that.

16 amps at 240 volts is quite a lot though. The average car drives under 40 miles/day, That should recharge on a 16a station in less than 3 hours on average. Some days will take more, some less. Unless you have a long commute. You may want to use level 1 at home on the weekends to cover that situation. It is perfectly fine not to charge all the way to 80% every day. If you don't have a long drive planned, and you came in very low, you may only get to 60% but that could be just fine. If not, there are superchargers, but the need for that is rare.