Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging only at Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, does anyone know whether charging 3-4 times a week at a city supercharger is unhealthy?

I plan do keep the charge up to 90% and above 20%. I plan to charge at a 72 kWh city supercharger if that matters.

Another option is to charge nightly with a 120V charger every night, which will let me maintain 50 miles a day, then charge ones a week in a 72 kWh supercharger and maybe another time at a level 2 charger (equivalent to a home charger).

Reactions: VivekDr
Hi, does anyone know whether charging 3-4 times a week at a city supercharger is unhealthy?

I plan do keep the charge up to 90% and above 20%. I plan to charge at a 72 kWh city supercharger if that matters.

Another option is to charge nightly with a 120V charger every night, which will let me maintain 50 miles a day, then charge ones a week in a 72 kWh supercharger and maybe another time at a level 2 charger (equivalent to a home charger).

I would definitely use the 120v as much as possible. Smaller cycles are also better for battery life. 80-70-80 5x does less wear on the battery than 80-30-80 once.

Reactions: Brando
This is a good question since it's the city version.

Here's another similar question....

I know that Tesla likes charging the battery every day. Does it matter if you are always using the 48a Wall Connector, or should you occasionally do a 120v super slow charge?

Note: we are in an era of change - especially batteries, electronics, even electric motors.
Mustk (and I think Porsche??) have mentioned seats are monitored to allow "best use" - adjust air bag deploy - as an example.

Most seem to say 80 - 30 or 20 % charge range best.

So if I go to the supercharger every couple of days to charge the extra 10-20% back to 90%? Yes, I can also limit myself to 80% on day to day.

but Tesla’s official website says:
Maintain a regular, every-day charging routine using a low-voltage charger. It’s best to rely on high-voltage charging (i.e. Supercharging) only when necessary.
Which I’m not sure why.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
I have a neighbor who has been charging a P90 battery solely at our closest supercharger for 3 to 4 years now, about 2 times a week. (We live minutes from one). Looking at the thread on where similar age/mileage cars are at 100%, there have been zero effect due to SC use only.

Reactions: yurmix
So if I go to the supercharger every couple of days to charge the extra 10-20% back to 90%? Yes, I can also limit myself to 80% on day to day.

but Tesla’s official website says:
Maintain a regular, every-day charging routine using a low-voltage charger. It’s best to rely on high-voltage charging (i.e. Supercharging) only when necessary.
Which I’m not sure why.

If you go to a supercharger to only charge from 70-90% you will be spending a TON of time at a supercharger. As you likely found out, it takes significantly longer to charge when you are at higher states of charge.

You should be charging off that 120 (if its not a shared circuit), and supplementing that with supercharging where appropriate, unless you want to spend a ton of time sitting and waiting at superchargers for some reason.

Reactions: yurmix
I don't charge exclusively at DCFC, but I may do the majority there. I have a friend who got his same TM3 LR RWD the same day as I did, he charges almost exclusively at home. When he charged to 100% recently on his 3 year old car he got 311 miles (the same as the day they were new). I did a charge that week and got 299 miles.

Just a data point, too many anecdotal observations w/o a control can lead to bad conclusions.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and nwdiver