Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging only when MY is below 100 mile range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up MY on 12/21 at 90% charge (~280 mile range). No garage until Feb-Mar. First time charging today with around 80 mile range. Was told by SA it's best to charge only when MY is below 100 mile range. I would actually love to charge everyday for 2 hours (Volta is free for 2 hours, could be 4) and charge it to 90% everyday (I drive on avg 5-10 miles a day). Would this be bad for the battery?

While I'm sure you'll be fine the information you received from your SA is bad advice and runs counter to what's in the owner's manual. The owner's manual states, Tesla strongly recommends leaving Model Y plugged in when not in use. This maintains the Battery at the optimum level of charge. When in doubt, read the manual.

I would actually love to charge everyday for 2 hours (Volta is free for 2 hours, could be 4) and charge it to 90% everyday (I drive on avg 5-10 miles a day). Would this be bad for the battery?
This is similar to how I usually charge. About four times a week I charge for free with 2 hour free parking parking. You will be fine charging that way even if you skip a day or two. I drive about the same most days. In winter the Tesla Model Y's climate control heat, including preconditioning before driving, will use as much of the battery charge as your 10 mile per day driving. Set the maximum charging level anywhere between 50% and 90% and the battery will be fine.

Picked up MY on 12/21 at 90% charge (~280 mile range). No garage until Feb-Mar. First time charging today with around 80 mile range. Was told by SA it's best to charge only when MY is below 100 mile range. I would actually love to charge everyday for 2 hours (Volta is free for 2 hours, could be 4) and charge it to 90% everyday (I drive on avg 5-10 miles a day). Would this be bad for the battery?
He could be referring the fact that the car will charge a lot faster at a lower state of charge. If you only drive 5 or 10 miles a day should not really be a big deal either way.

He could be referring the fact that the car will charge a lot faster at a lower state of charge. If you only drive 5 or 10 miles a day should not really be a big deal either way.
That would only be true when using a Supercharger. For Level 2 (240V) charging there is no noticeable taper in the charging rate until the state of charge is greater than ~95%.

While I'm sure you'll be fine the information you received from your SA is bad advice and runs counter to what's in the owner's manual. The owner's manual states, Tesla strongly recommends leaving Model Y plugged in when not in use. This maintains the Battery at the optimum level of charge. When in doubt, read the manual.
Fair. But I believe this was a recommendation since I will not have the ability to charge at home for the foreseeable future.

That would only be true when using a Supercharger. For Level 2 (240V) charging there is no noticeable taper in the charging rate until the state of charge is greater than ~95%.
Maybe the SA was under the impression that I will explicitly supercharge. Not sure. Either way, I think I might charge 2 hours a day for free until I get home charging.

Most SA's don't know $hit... you are fine charging every day. Personally I don't charge above 90% unless I am doing a road trip, and I set the charge to finish just before I start driving so the car doesn't sit at high state of charge for any length of time.

Keith

That would be old school talk referring to Nicad batteries which had a memory effect and were better off being depleted to a certain extent before charging. I go by the book, Teslas book that is. My home setup is so convenient I plug in every time I come back home, even after a quick trip to the grocery store. I leave the charge limit set to 85% all the time unless I need to make a longer trip where it gets bumped to 100%. Same goes for when I go to work, plug in as soon as I arrive although it is only 6 miles from home. Car is always ready to go with ample range at all times.

Reactions: simdank