TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging options going north to Chicago

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by greencharge, May 15, 2013.

1. greencharge

greencharge Member

Before the superchargers take over, I need to make a trip to Chicago with family weekend after next. Adventurers of the electric highway please suggest charging options that you have used or heard of along the route 57 N from Carbondale to Chicago. I see some RV parks using all-stays but couldn't tell how conducive they would be to spend about 3-4 hrs charging with kids. Thanks in advance

2. caddieo

caddieo Member

Have no personal experience, nor do I know anybody with - but while surfing the web recently I came across the ChargePoint website. If you follow the internal links, you can call up a map which shows the location of various stations. Zooming and clicking on any will give additional details. Hope that helps. Post your experiences if you do the trip. If I drive from Florida to Chicago some time in the future, it may come in handy.

3. breading

breading Member

My family and I took a trip from KC to Indianapolis across your route. We charged at Lakewood RV park in Effingham. The game room is old; but, my 8 and 6 year old boys loved it. On our way back they had even more fun playing football next to the playground with other kids from the campground. They asked for $5 for a 1.5 hour charge.

1K Mile Road Trip With Kids and Without Superchargers

4. greencharge

greencharge Member

That's very helpful know your experience Breading, appreciate the info

5. greencharge

greencharge Member

#5 greencharge, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
    We did the Chicagotrip, starting at Marion IL to Oak Brook IL (335 miles). we started after school closed at 5:45 pm with a rated range of 268 miles, drove at an average 45mph for three hours on US-37 to reach our only charging stop at Camp LakewoodRV park by Effingham (thanks to Breading) 118 miles out, we got there using 269Wh/mi and remaining rated range of 160 miles, charged with a 14-50 @29 mphfor four hours sleeping in the car to a rated range of 270 miles and drove therest of the distance (217 miles) on I-57at 55-65mph reaching Oak Brook at 3AM with 20 miles of rated and projected range, average energy of 326 Wh/mi. It took 10 hours to reach our destination, four hours were spent charging.

The next day, got in touch with Oak Brook center Tesla show room and got a full charge in their parking with a 70 amp charger with a roadster to MS adapter and drove around Chicago. During the night the car was plugged into a 110V inlet at my friends garage where we were staying. Around Oakbrook the charging infrastructure is very sketchy and would have been a nightmare if there wasn’t charging available at the Tesla show room.

Tim was extremely helpful in setting up the charging out of hours, when we needed a range charge the night before leaving Chicago, we charged early in the night, hooked up to 110V in the garage to prevent any vampire drain and set off in the morning with a rated 272 miles.

We drove 335 miles home with breaks at charging stations. We drove at 45 mph and always had a projected range of 40 miles more than therated. The first break was after 55miles at Northfield square mall, Bourbonnais, IL (Charge point @22 mph, added 11 rated miles in30 min) on US-45, second break was 72 miles later at Prairie Pines campground ([email protected] mph added 22 miles in 45 min) on US-45 near Rantoul IL, the last breakwas 88miles later at Camp Lakewood RV park by Effingham 50 [email protected], 20 milesin 40 min). Then drove 118 miles back home at 55mph on US-37 and reached homewith 20 miles of rated range and 40 projected. The average energy use was 265 Wh/mi.It took 11 hours to return home, less than 2 hours was spent on charging.

Breaks in the return journey were planned to give kids some activity and charge simultaneously. The day was pleasant and cloudy and kids had a good time at the RV parks. We did not need to charge for hours together as we wanted to extend the range by driving at 45 mph, however after our third stop we had 118 miles to go and 130 rated miles and 160 projected miles and we increased the speed to 50 mph and later to 55 mph. The whole journey was on US-45 and US-37, they are country roads and traffic was minimal, the drive is very quiet, surprisingly the roads had minimal wear and tear and were very smooth. If you choose to drive slow to extend range avoid interstates – the traffic is horrible, rear-ending is a huge risk.

Road trip is doable but supercharging would save a lot oftime.

6. elecblue

elecblue Member

Singapore (for next 2 years) previously Chicago, I
    Greencharge - not a bad idea at all - take the US routes and stop to smell the roses. Good way to get QT family time.