Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Options to use 30 amps & 240 V breaker switch ( Electric Dryer) to charge my Tesla at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 30 amps & 240 V breaker switch ( Electric Dryer). I see this can be used if we setup a 14-30 outlet and with 14-30 Adapter from tesla using mobile connector.

Wanted to know if below options are feasible or not ?

Option 1: Can we setup a J1772 outlet using 30 AMPS & 240v Electric Dryer breaker switch?
Options 2: Can we setup 14-50 outlet for above 30amps & 240v breaker switch ( Dryer) and use the 14-50 adapter from tesla to charge it by always setting 24 amps charing?

Thanks

Option 3: have an electrician install a dedicated 240V/30A circuit to your desired location and install the Tesla Wall Connector. The Wall Connector can be provisioned (set up) for use on 240V circuits from 15A up to 60A. The benefits of using the Wall Connector versus the Mobile Connector include a longer 24 foot charging cord, all-weather use for outdoor installation, limiting Tesla vehicle charging to only specific VINs and the option to setup automatic load balancing when two or more (up to six) Wall Connectors are installed.

Option 3: have an electrician install a dedicated 240V/30A circuit to your desired location and install the Tesla Wall Connector. The Wall Connector can be provisioned (set up) for use on 240V circuits from 15A up to 60A. The benefits of using the Wall Connector versus the Mobile Connector include a longer 24 foot charging cord, all-weather use for outdoor installation, limiting Tesla vehicle charging to only specific VINs and the option to setup automatic load balancing when two or more (up to six) Wall Connectors are installed.
This is a great option as I already have wall connector installed with 60 amps breaker switch which is on Backup relay not on the main panel where wall connector always use it from grid unlike the main panel which uses energy from solar, power wall and finally grid. Our electric company is using net metering with 50% less rate for energy we send it to them. So better to consume our own generated energy oursevles than send it to them.

This.

If you don't use and not planning to use an electric dryer circuit and want to save some money, and this is kind of a backup charger since you already have a wall connector - you can definitely repurpose it to install 14-30 outlet and use Tesla 14-30 adapter to charge using Mobile Connector. It will give you 24A or about 6KWh of charging speed.
But if you still want to use an electric dryer - it's a bad idea to put two high-voltage consumers on the same circuit.

By the way, there is not such a thing as J1772 outlet. J1772 - is a plug type. There are no outlets of this type. You can install a wall charger that has J1772 plug, there are models that can be hard-wired or connected to the outlet, and configure it to max power at 24A for this circuit.

Reactions: Sundar and Rocky_H
Dryer buddy or similar.

Assuming the dryer outlet is accessible to the dryer and the EV.

• Informative
Reactions: UncleCreepy
Can you have an electrician rewire the wall connector so that it also pulls form solar and power wall?

If you want to use the dryer outlet then you need a dryer buddy or split volt device as mentioned above so you’re not always unplugging and plugging in the dryer and mobile connector. Those outlets are not meant for constant plugging and unplugging and will wear out quickly causing poor connection, heat, arcing, melting and potentially fire.

Reactions: GSP and davewill
I want to reiterate that you NOT rely on any solution that requires dialing the amperage down in the car. It will work, except when it doesn't. We have seen many instances where the car forgets the setting (or mistakes the GPS location and doesn't use it) and the car defaults to full amperage. If you have to do it to get by at Grandm'a house for a day or two, fine, you can be careful each time you plug in, but for a daily use case, it's no good.

This is not true in Ontario, Canada. I’m not sure where the OP is from, but requirements vary by country and jurisdiction. In Ontario, you must wire the gen3 Wall connector to handle 48A continuous. The wifi controller is not considered sufficient when turning down the amperage.
You can use it with a 30A breaker on the 30A setting, you just need to wire it to nameplate amperage.

So, where are you from OP? (Probably not Ontario, haha)

This is not true in Ontario, Canada. I’m not sure where the OP is from, but requirements vary by country and jurisdiction. In Ontario, you must wire the gen3 Wall connector to handle 48A continuous. The wifi controller is not considered sufficient when turning down the amperage.
You can use it with a 30A breaker on the 30A setting, you just need to wire it to nameplate amperage.

If true, Tesla will need to go back to physical switches to commission the Wall Connector. Hopefully the AHJ(s) there can be convinced that is not necessary.

Mountain House appears to be in northern California, not far from Freemont. Wire type and gauge not withstanding, what I stated regarding the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector capable of being setup, used on circuits rated between 15 amps and 60 amps is correct.

Reactions: Sundar and MattM24
If true, Tesla will need to go back to physical switches to commission the Wall Connector. Hopefully the AHJ(s) there can be convinced that is not necessary.
Hopefully, they will change the rule to allow it, but a friend of mine got dinged running 8awg NMD cable when he tried to set it to a 40A breaker (32A).

My point is more about different rules in different jurisdictions. Best to consult with licensed Electricians from your area.

Also, don’t feel too bad for us, we can run 6/2 NMD90 for up to 65A circuits at 75C connection points.

• Love
Reactions: GSP
but a friend of mine got dinged
Anecdote is anecdotal.
My point is more about different rules in different jurisdictions. Best to consult with licensed Electricians from your area.
I doubt that is an official thing in Ontario or an actual part of the jurisdiction or real code. I think your friend may have just run into an inspector who happened to have that opinion/interpretation. I've seen several threads here of people in the United States running into an inspector who thought that same thing too.

Anecdote is anecdotal.

I doubt that is an official thing in Ontario or an actual part of the jurisdiction or real code. I think your friend may have just run into an inspector who happened to have that opinion/interpretation. I've seen several threads here of people in the United States running into an inspector who thought that same thing too.

Take a look at this. Software set amperage is currently under consideration in Ontario. They suggest something stronger than just having a phone.

Under the current Bulletin 86-1-4, ESA specifies that the adjustable settings are not accessible. Their example of acceptable in the Bulletin is the internal pot adjust that the old V2 wall connectors used.

Can you have an electrician rewire the wall connector so that it also pulls form solar and power wall?

If you want to use the dryer outlet then you need a dryer buddy or split volt device as mentioned above so you’re not always unplugging and plugging in the dryer and mobile connector. Those outlets are not meant for constant plugging and unplugging and will wear out quickly causing poor connection, heat, arcing, melting and potentially fire.
gotcha. thanks