Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging - Orange Light Flash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the last few days I have noticed that when I plug in, that I get a brief orange light for 2-3 flashes then turns to blue followed by green. One out of four of the last charges turned was solid orange on plugin and I had to unplug/replug to get it to work.

It never did this the first week I had the car. Is there something wrong with the charging port? I have service scheduled on Nov 1 to replace some bad stitching on my drivers seat. Should I mention it to them to look at?

The orange light is an indicator that the plug is not seated all the way in (the manual says this). It tries to push up a locking pin to hold the handle in the port securely, and if the handle stuck just a little short of all the way in, the locking pin can't get into the notch of the handle, and it will complain with that orange light. So when plugging in, once you get the nose of the handle partway in the port to have it lined up right, use a pretty firm shove to get it all the way in. Here are other threads on this:

Supercharger orange ring ???
Charge port problem
Charge port lights
blinking orange light while charging
Problem using SuperCharger Tonight

Reactions: TechSavvyWife