Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging other EVs from Tesla Level 2 home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a friend visiting who has a Volvo XC 60 plug-in and I would like to let him use my home Tesla Level 2 charger. I know you can buy adapters that would allow a Tesla charger to plug into the J1772 port on this other EV. Is there any problem doing this or any complexity that is not obvious? Will the Tesla charger communicate with and charge the other EV?

It should work fine, but for a single visit, the cost of the adapter (most seem to be about $150 to $170 today, based on a quick check) is too high to make it worthwhile. If you (or your friend) expects to use it in other circumstances (say, to charge at hotels on road trips; or if you expect future visits from J1772-using EVs), then it might be worth getting one.

That said, my understanding is that there is a DIP switch inside most Tesla Wall Connectors that can cause it to either work with or not work with J1772 vehicles. My understanding is that it's set to work with J1772 vehicles by default, but if you changed this setting, you may want to look into changing it back. I don't own a Wall Connector myself (I use a Clipper Creek EVSE), so I can't give you specific instructions on what to check or set. You may want to check your Wall Connector's manual to look for any such option. It's possible that the option has changed over the various different versions of the Wall Connector.

Reactions: scott2 and jsmay311
Upvote 0
Many portable chargers provided by other car manufacturesr are only L1, and L2 is only for Wall Connectors.
So may be you should also put a 5-20 receptacle,
More and more 3rd party portable chargers are 240V, and since some brands don't include a portable EVSE, I recommend folks get a 240V portable EVSE for maximum flexibility.

This situation is always why I recommend people give a thought to installing J1772 vs Tesla wall connectors.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I used to use a Lectron teslatap adapter to charge a Chevy Bolt on my UMC, they are easy to use and work well. They can be bought new for $140 here, used ones show up on ebay often but not at much of a discount. Important for anyone considering one to know - they do NOT work with Superchargers.

I agree with @srs5694 if you only need it once it’s not really worth it, have your friend plug into 120 (assuming level 1 charger came with the car).

Reactions: MikeGracz
Upvote 0

Best Buy Price: $550
Tesla WC Price: $425

Price difference is $125

Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter: $150

For basically the same price having an adapter instead of a J1772 Tesla WC
is a more fleible solution, because the adapter could be use in many locations.

Note: There is also a 13 kW J1772 Tesla charger.
It is available in general at some hotels or also Tesla install it at some Superchargers.

Reactions: Eric9610 and house9
Upvote 0
Best Buy Price: $550
Tesla WC Price: $425

Price difference is $125

Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter: $150

For basically the same price having an adapter instead of a J1772 Tesla WC
is a more fleible solution, because the adapter could be use in many locations.

Note: There is also a 13 kW J1772 Tesla charger.
It is available in general at some hotels or also Tesla install it at some Superchargers.
Yes, Tesla has always led the way on cost, so for that consideration, it has been a preferable option.

However, there are now some less expensive J1772 options on the market, such as this Emporia 48A (for hard-wired connection) EVSE:

Upvote 0
Yes, Tesla has always led the way on cost, so for that consideration, it has been a preferable option.

However, there are now some less expensive J1772 options on the market, such as this Emporia 48A (for hard-wired connection) EVSE:

I use the Emporia Vue 16 to monitor my consumption for my off-grid solar power system.
This is a very practical and usefull system.

The above mentionned EV charger was listed but not yet available at the time I installed my solar panels.
I build my own power switch to charge my EV and run a water heat pump using excess solar energy.
However, I am now considering using the Emporia EV charger which provide an easy to control power switch .

But the ultimate charger would be to provide bi-directional EV charging.

Upvote 0
Both TeslaTap and Lectron sell Tesla >> J1772 adapters. TeslaTap has a "mini" adapter that does without any cord.

If you get one, make sure to get one that's rated for your vehicle's maximum AC charging current. For some, that could be 80A. If you get an adapter that's lower than what your vehicle can accept and the EVSE wants to deliver full current, the Tesla connector and the vehicle won't know there's an adapter in the middle that's not capable of all the current that can be provided, and you may damage the adapter.

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush and ChadS
Upvote 0