Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging over a few days in Lismore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone familiar with Lismore? - we are staying at friends for a few days in April and was planning to charge at their house (just 10amp). However have just been told that their driveway may not be accessible - 500m long with mud/rocks, really only accessible by 4wd. So am thinking maybe leaving my car somewhere secure in Lismore (charging) over a few days - happy to pay.

So does anyone familiar with this area have any suggestions?

Thanks
Andrew

try the showgrounds, almost guaranteed 3 phase 32 amp....will need an adapter but will charge at 90-120km/hr

Alexandra Pde, North Lismore
02 6621 5916
Three phase is 55kmh with only one charger. Another possibility (again with the right adaptor) is the Macadamia Castle at Knockrow (approx 30 km from Lismore). They have J1772 for free which charges at 30kmh. Rainbow Power in Nimbin offer a standard wall outlet - I have been trying to get them to ask Tesla for a WPWC so far to no avail.

Hi Andrew,

Judging by your helpful answer on another thread "4 hrs (to fully charge at 3 phase 32a)", it looks like you are on top of 3 phase charging.

So why not leave early, charge at Coffs Harbour Showground, and pick up a bit more at Macadamia Castle so you can take your friends for a nice drive or two!

Thanks for all of your advice! I'll call the Showgrounds as well as didn't think of that.

We are actually going to Coffs, Port Macquarie, Lismore, Byron, Murwillumbah, Glenn Innes, Armidale (Petersons guest house have a Tesla charger), Hunter (lunch at Petersons with charger!) and back to the Central Coast (around 2000 kms). Due to time restrictions (when we need to be home by) and kids we are a bit limited to how often we can stop and charge, so leaving it plugged in at friends during the day and overnight (on 10amp) to keep it topped up and when not using it is the plan, plus Macadamia Castle when possible - however they have said if the weather is bad / storms etc charging may not be possible (as its all solar) so I do need to take that into account.

I'm sure I will work out some way to get it charged as much as poss in Lismore. Either way if anybody knows / recommends anywhere I could securely park for a few days (unable to get it up friends driveway), let me know.

On a side note I saw that Lismore council have bought themselves a Nissan Leaf which the mayor etc is using around town...plus I believe they charge it off solar - and doesn't the Nissan Leaf charge off a J1772 socket? (Which I have an adapter cable for)

Last edited:
...plus Macadamia Castle when possible - however they have said if the weather is bad / storms etc charging may not be possible (as its all solar) so I do need to take that into account.

Ha!!! :D As I've posted previously, I charged there during a *major* storm, thunder, lightning, the works. The only reason the charging stopped was me disconnecting the J1772 adaptor due to a mini river flowing under the car where the connector was sitting LOL. I have no doubt if the plug was raised off the ground, I could have continued charging without fear or interruption. It is possible it is a net meter setup and management may manually disconnect to avoid costs associated from grid power provision as opposed to a direct solar source but I’m not sure about that.

Interesting calculation: It’s currently very overcast & raining here in Sydney with no visible sun, yet our 3 kW solar installation is still generating ~220W…so about 7.3% efficiency right now. The Maca Castle is a 45 kW setup so, for example, given the same efficiency would still be generating 3.3 kW, slow but still usable J1772 on direct solar not taking into account grid supplementation. If I am mistaken (I often am), please correct me :)

Thanks WhiteStar - that certainly helps. So the charging there is also grid connected? I wasn't sure if the solar charging was completely seperate to the rest of the complex. I haven't been there, just read a bit plus a phone call to them (and the person I spoke to certainly wasn't an expert in this area :))

Last edited:
After same calls today I found the Showgrounds unfortunately don't have 3 phase.

Lismore council are looking at installing a public charging station, but not yet.

However Phil from Sport Air Aviation was very helpful and said I could leave it charging there - has 3 phase but only 4 pin. However since it will be there for a few days 10amp over that time should give us our needed 36kw.

After same calls today I found the Showgrounds unfortunately don't have 3 phase.

Lismore council are looking at installing a public charging station, but not yet.

However Phil from Sport Air Aviation was very helpful and said I could leave it charging there - has 3 phase but only 4 pin. However since it will be there for a few days 10amp over that time should give us our needed 36kw.

I knew Phil would help. He's a top bloke. Say hi from Sam and I'll drop in soon when I return from Blighty :)