Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging over amp limit: 34/32A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsgerbc

Jun 4, 2019
Michigan
Noticed today that I'm charging over the limit, on a 14-50 plug.
Stopped and restarted, the same thing.

Any clue what's going on?
I recently changed the breaker cause the old one was humming too much. Don't see how this would affect anything.

Attachments

• IMG_20200219_205854.jpg
    IMG_20200219_205854.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 360

I recently changed the breaker cause the old one was humming too much. Don't see how this would affect anything.

Most likely just normal variance.

Also, I'm sure you know, but your circuit is good to 40 amps.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod

This is sort of interesting. Interesting that it consistently draws excess.

So it has not always behaved this way? It was correlated with the breaker change, or was it correlated with something else? Or did you only start paying attention to the screen closely when you changed the breaker?

I think the denominator number is just determined by what the UMC (or whatever) communicates it can source. The numerator (actual current) is probably dead reckoned by the AC-DC to match the target. And measured by something else...but perhaps there is no "check" or feedback of that measurement to the AC-DC to back off - the AC-DC dead reckoning is assumed to be close enough to not need correction?

Maybe it's only dialed back if excessive voltage drop is detected. But this sort of small discrepancy due to AC-DC variation is ignored?

No idea really.

How does it behave if you change the max current limit setting - is it always 2A over, or is the current overshoot proportional, or what?

Last edited:
It's charging normally today. It's not that I check often, but this is something I would have noticed before. A few days prior I was trying to diagnose the noise from the panel and started/restarted the charge a few times. It was completely fine, not going over 32. The only thing somewhat different yesterday was the initial SOC, which got under 40% due to some work driving, which normally doesn't get below 60. I may try get it under 40 again and see if it tries this again.

It is not very uncommon for people to see 34 amps.
I sure would say it is very uncommon. I've been here a lot of years, and I don't ever remember seeing this thing of the currently running amps being higher than the allowed amps. I would say something like this sounds like a software display glitch, and I would expect that it would clear itself up with a reboot of the center screen.