TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging Over Night

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by rlawson4, Dec 9, 2012.

1. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

I was wondering if others have seen the range decrease over night while plugged in? For example yesterday before bed I was at 241. I kept the car plugged in and woke up with 233 miles. Anyone else see this?

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

part of the vampire load... it tops up then stops. Supposed to wake up, but nobody is sure that it will.

3. tezco

tezco Sig P85

When we get a charge timer app, set your charging window from 7:01 am to 7:00 am. The car will top off every day at 7:01, when the window re-opens.

4. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

A software update a month or so ago gave the S similar topping-off behavior as the Roadster: it wakes up every 24 hours and tops off the battery pack's charge. Before the latest 4.0 release, your behavior was normal: vampire loads would suck about 8 miles per day of range. Now, with 4.0, the car shuts off its displays and such when you exit the vehicle and the vampire loads are expected to be much lower. I haven't let it sit for long enough since 4.0 was installed to know: a) how much smaller the vampire loads are, and b) if it still wakes up every 24 hours to top off the charge.

5. cleanser

cleanser Member

Anyone know when this is coming out? I was looking at PGE and thinking of switching to the E-9 rate, a charger timing app would be much appreciated. It's too bad NEMA 14-50 outlet timers don't exist