Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging port defective?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a used gen 2 wall charger with 14-50 nema plug but every time i tried to use it, the app keeps prompting me to secure the cable and the charging port shows flashing orange. I reseated it and plugged it in several times but same issue. I even unplugged the wall charger and tried it again after a while.

when i used my mobile connector, it’s able to charge just fine and shows green on the charging port.

I took a picture of each port. the left one is the mobile connector and the right one is used gen 2 wall charger. am i missing something here that could be causing the issue?

Attachments

• 4C81C478-32A8-4B02-9A56-E2DD86EBC65E.jpeg
    4C81C478-32A8-4B02-9A56-E2DD86EBC65E.jpeg
    365.7 KB · Views: 150
Look inside the connector on your Gen2 handle and compare with the interior of your mobile connector. I think it'S possible that some plastic pieces get dislodged from connectors . Something might be preventing it from inserting fully. You posted a picture but it'S sideways so we can't see all the way to the bottom.

Reactions: Pianewman
The title of this thread is misleading, until you determine if the used gen2 wall connector you have is defective. Where did you source the gen2 connector? The photo isn't clear, but the one on the left appears to be scuffed/damaged, possibly from being dropped?

:) It was not pejorative, it's a simple fact. The Gen2 charger, which I have at home, does not have any advanced intelligence. There is no web page to configure, no wifi, no api. It is connected to your main electric panel and provides energy in J1772 or Tesla-proprietary protocols through a Tesla plug and nothing more.

So, you see that on the Gen2 connector there's something black at the bottom of the top right pin? That might have enough thickness to prevent the connector from seating completely. Is the black part somewhat loose? Can you remove it easily with a pair of long nose pliers?
EDIT: I'm not saying it must be taken out, maybe it's the left side that's missing something I'm just trying things out here...