Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging port door closes very quickly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to Tesla, I just got the model 3 long range not too long ago, I have a question about the charging port door. Do you guys find the port door closes too quickly after you unplug the charger? I am using the 32A 240V Mobile Charger on 14-50, here are 3 cases I tested:

Case A: After the charging is completed and my car is LOCKED.
(A1): I used the app to Open the charging port door and then
(A2): Unlocked the charging port
Result: When I pulled the charger out, the charging door closed SO QUICKLY, like within 0.5 seconds. If I do it slowly, it actually hit the charger.

Case B: After the charging is completed and my car is LOCKED.
(B1): I used the app to UNLOCK the CAR DOORS, and
(B2): Opened the charging port door, then
(B3): Unlocked the charging port
Result: This time, when I pulled the charger out, the charging port door stayed open for 10 seconds, and then automatically closed by itself.

Case C: After the charging is completed and my car is LOCKED.
(C1): I walked to the driver door with my phone and unlock the door physically, door remain open.
(C2): I used the app to Open the charging port door, then
(C3): Unlocked the charging port
Result: When I pulled the charger out, the charging door closed SO QUICKLY again similar to case #A which is annoying.

Do you guys experience the same? Wondering why can't the charging port door always has a delay like Case B? I can't seem to find a setting on this. I have updated to the latest firmware 2021.44.25.2 and the behavior is the same for older firmware I had before. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

R.B.

Reactions: RNHurt
I wake up the car with the app, then push the button on the charger wand. As soon as the wand clears the door slaps closed. I can only guess Tesla is trying to keep water out.
Nope. That’s not the real reason for the door slapping closed so quickly.
Everyone knows Tesla is a huge fan of movie Easter eggs.
The charge port door slapping shut is a nod to the Pretty Woman scene where Richard Gear slaps the jewellery box door shut on Julia Robert’s hand.
Tesla does this to the wand. :)
So now you know.

I've had my MY for 18 months and have charged it every day in my garage. Just in the last 2 releases I've noticed that I can hardly get the charge handle out of the car before the door shuts. Previously, I would have time to unplug, walk behind the car, hang the charger back on the base, and almost make it back to the charge port before the door closed. Honestly, it was a little slow and I feared that if hurried too much I would catch my sleeve on the door before it closed. Now, the door is closed long before I reach the back of the car.

I've had this same routine for 18 months so I'm pretty sure I've not changed. Something in the last 2 firmware versions (since 2021.44.25 I think) has definately changed. Or my car is mad at me for something.

Reactions: Lightbulb
My 4th service appointment for this is next week. Started a few months back for me. It closes the instant I pull the charger out. If I try it again soon after it takes the normal amount of time (~5 seconds).
And they called me cancelling it a few minutes ago saying they are passing it to engineering because it is a software issue. I said ok can you revert my software to before this then (and also solve the awful V11 problem) and he said no sir we cannot downgrade software. Can't downgrade software? Sounds like bullshit right?

That is correct, they have not (yet) developed a software downgrade method.

What charger are you using and how are you locking/unlocking it?
Thanks, that sucks to hear but good to know they weren't lying.

I use a mobile connector with a 14-50 adapter mounted in my garage. I unlock with keycard, by opening a door(with my phone in my pocket), or by holding the button on the charger(with my phone in my pocket). Whichever method i use I get the same result. I lock by walk away lock 99% of the time, 1% of the time I use keycard.

Physically tapping the charge port cover to open it and using the charge handle to unlock are usually all I need.

Press and hold the button on the charger handle til you hear it unlock. Then pull out. Don't delay or your Tesla will slap you like it has been lol.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
And they called me cancelling it a few minutes ago saying they are passing it to engineering because it is a software issue. I said ok can you revert my software to before this then (and also solve the awful V11 problem) and he said no sir we cannot downgrade software. Can't downgrade software? Sounds like bullshit right?
Some advice. If you are that put off by fairly minor software glitches, (like a fast closing charge port door), your likely never going to be happy.
Every EV maker has new software to develop and pair with the car. All of them are having glitches. Some more than others. Software glitches are common with every industry.
Nothing wrong trying to get them fixed, but you seem pretty put off by it all, and you’re likely setting yourself up for misery, if you let every glitch put you off like that.

• Disagree
Reactions: bro1999 and TunaBug