Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Port Door Needs Replacement Fix:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About two months ago I got this message on my Model S: "Charing Port Door Needs to be Replaced." I took it in to SC and a service tech came outside - where car was parked and re-calibrated (not sure what exactly he did) and the message was gone. Fast forward a week or so, and the message popped up again after tapping charging port to open.

I called Tesla again - they advised this was a common problem they were looking into it. I was mislead by the initial rep - she said it was a software glitch. She later claimed that she put me on the "list" to have a replacement port door. Seemed to me that it was a software glitch. Anyhow, I called in again about a month later to find out status on replacement door.

Same lady said they didn't have a set date b/c they were back logged. (I'm certain she was misleading me again - she likely knew they were working on the software glitch and, to cut short any explanation, simply said I was on the list for a replacement door when no list actually existed?

That was about two months ago. Today, I woke up and that message is gone. Looks like they fixed it. Anyone else?

I got that msg on and off for weeks. I kind of ignored it because the door worked fine, just seemed to be the sensor not reading correctly (says open when it was closed, etc). Finally, it started adding the annoying warning audio beep. I called in. It took about 3 weeks to get the part and then the ranger came out and replaced the whole mechanism behind the inside trunk panel. Fortunately, this was a non-event repair and the only issue since taking delivery last January. Still, three weeks was concerning, especially considering the delays others have experienced.

I am on the same boat. The first warning started last week, the tech 're-calibrated' the door and the message cleared for a day or so. Now the warnings won't go away and worse: port won't light up when the door is open ; but light up when it is close ; sometimes not fully close ; the dash says it's open but it is actually closed (it's been there for several hours in the garage). Scheduled for service next week, hopefully it won't be a long wait.

• Love
Reactions: pedriscoll
I am on the same boat. The first warning started last week, the tech 're-calibrated' the door and the message cleared for a day or so. Now the warnings won't go away and worse: port won't light up when the door is open ; but light up when it is close ; sometimes not fully close ; the dash says it's open but it is actually closed (it's been there for several hours in the garage). Scheduled for service next week, hopefully it won't be a long wait.

Update on mine: The message came back up, and eventually I scheduled a service. However, they came out to my office and replaced the port door. It took almost two months to get the replacement, but it wasn't much of a bother other than the annoying message. Since the replacement, everything has been working without issue. Happy with the exceptional service.

Just came back from the service center, they replaced the charge port door, at the same time the backup camera just gone blank (have seen that before and reboot usually solved the issue), they also replaced the backup camera. One stone two birds and I got a P100D X, happy with the service also.

Reactions: Ghosty