Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed yesterday I had an error message something like ‘charging port door may not open when pressed’ then overnight it went away. It actually did open when pressed even when the error message was on.

However today when I got to work I noticed the charging port door open when I got out of the car, even though it closed when I took my charger out at home?

Anyone else had this? Time for my first service request within a week?!

However, I am absolutely in love with the car, it’s like nothing else and it’s such a pleasure to own. Waking up to a heated car with 80 percent charge and no fuss with a pleasant cabin and easy drive is great. Road noise isn’t so great on the motorway but I guess I was aware of that from the hundreds of reviews I saw before I got the car…

This thread came up as a similar. Slightly OT for the OP's circumstances, but relevant to some of the follow up comments.

Upvote 0
This thread came up as a similar. Slightly OT for the OP's circumstances, but relevant to some of the follow up comments.

Thanks! I spotted that after your reply. Interesting.. does sound like a software rather than mechanical issue ;)

Upvote 0
Funny enough I've been meaning to search on here about the charge flap thing. I didn't know if it was because its been raining so much lately that it was closing quickly to protect against rain getting in....which I know is kind of wishful thinking and stupid, as that port is meant to be waterproof anyway but hey....was just a thought.

Glad i'm not the only one!

Upvote 0
I’ve been having the same error as the OP - Error CP_a051 about the charging port door not opening. Only started since last week, and is intermittent. Some days it’s fine, others it’s erroring and won’t open when you touch it.

I’d scheduled a ranger visit, but foolishly cancelled it when it went away.

Attachments

• 56684CB8-2529-4BC5-91F8-7E2683CF911C.jpeg
    56684CB8-2529-4BC5-91F8-7E2683CF911C.jpeg
    821.4 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: SirBaz
Upvote 0
I noticed yesterday I had an error message something like ‘charging port door may not open when pressed’ then overnight it went away. It actually did open when pressed even when the error message was on.

However today when I got to work I noticed the charging port door open when I got out of the car, even though it closed when I took my charger out at home?

Anyone else had this? Time for my first service request within a week?!

However, I am absolutely in love with the car, it’s like nothing else and it’s such a pleasure to own. Waking up to a heated car with 80 percent charge and no fuss with a pleasant cabin and easy drive is great. Road noise isn’t so great on the motorway but I guess I was aware of that from the hundreds of reviews I saw before I got the car…
same error here.Tesla Service unable to diagnose at the moment

Upvote 0
I have a related issue, which has only just happened: charger door closes immediately after opening. Same happens if I open it either via the app or the fob. Also pressing the door doesn’t open it.

I am on the latest software, and had one charge Saturday (after software update) without any issues.

I only managed to charge it by quickly inserting the cable before the door closes. It then closes the door on top of the charger, opens a bit and closes on top of the charger handle. Car is 3 weeks old…

Annoying I can’t seem to book a service because I have an appointment at a service centre in 2 weeks to correct paint on one of the doors and can’t have more than one appointment…

Upvote 0