Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging port not opening sometimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have noticed a frustrating issue lately, not sure if it's since the last update. The charging port won't open from the home hpwc handle button when I get home to charge. However the button works to unlock the port before I leave in the morning. I am sure it used to open when the car was unlocked.

The only way to open the port is to open the app and go to the charging screen or via the touchscreen meaning getting back into the car.

I have a 2105 model S P85D
I have reset the mcu, twice
I can unlock the port with the button on the charging handle on completion of the charge with the car unlocked
I have the key in my pocket at the time

I have not tried another charger or supercharger as none close by

Any ideas?

2105 model s - is that future model better than what us mere mortals get?
I’ve also had this problem With random not working. Booked in a service and the charge port door was ‘recalibrated’, which solved it.
You should also be able to open the model S charge port door by pushing on the charge port door left hand side. There is a slight delay. You can also disconnect after a charge by pushing the little black button on the left side.
Note car must be unlocked and awake for the single press. If unlocked and asleep press twice.

Hi,

I have noticed a frustrating issue lately, not sure if it's since the last update. The charging port won't open from the home hpwc handle button when I get home to charge. However the button works to unlock the port before I leave in the morning. I am sure it used to open when the car was unlocked.

The only way to open the port is to open the app and go to the charging screen or via the touchscreen meaning getting back into the car.

I have a 2105 model S P85D
I have reset the mcu, twice
I can unlock the port with the button on the charging handle on completion of the charge with the car unlocked
I have the key in my pocket at the time

I have not tried another charger or supercharger as none close by

Any ideas?
If you have a V2 HPWC they are a bit notorious for the wire that powers the button in the handle failing. I understand that the same wire is used for communication between the HPWC and the car, so as the problem get worse you may find that the HPWC can’t communicate with the car and you will get a red light on the charger and an error on the screen saying no power detected in HPWC. Pressing the reset button will fix it in most cases. You can test this next time it happens by holding down the boot opening button on your fob to open the charge port. if it opens then the problem is with the HPWC. I’m guessing that it always works to unlock as it is powered from the cars charge port.
This is happening to my V2 HPWC and I managed to fix it by carefully recoiling the cable over the HPWC so as to reduce as much twisting of the cable as possible. I was lucky and it now opens the charge port and I get fewer red lights but it’s only a matter of time before I will need to replace the HPWC.

Probably not related but I find the UMC works differently from the HPWC when trying to remove the charger from the car.

With the HPWC you just press the button once and the port unlocks. With the UMC you have to hold the button down until you remove the charger.

Thanks for the replies,

I've tried a few things.
1. Using the button on the remote, app, car touchscreen, and the UMC open the charge port to charge every time.

2. Using the HPWC no longer opens the charge port, however on completion of charge it will unlock it

3. The suggestion above to press on the left of the charge port doesn't work, and when opening don't see a little bleeding button either, this might be on newer models

4. HPWC never had a red light on It, I did reset it and left the isolator off overnight and no difference. Most of my cord is coiled over the unit as I only seem to use 1.5 m or so to charge

My HPWC is probably closer to 3 years old, and most of the time it's plugged in to the car as its only been a weekend drive if that. Only done about 15,000km so disappointing if its failed in that time in little use.

Ill stick with the remote option for now until another problem shows up with the charger.

Sounds like the known fault with the older HPWCs and with the longer cables. Didn’t affect short cables. Had one replaced under warranty a couple of years back and they weren’t surprised. Yours lasted a little longer.

I have an X and two S models. I have two HPWC. Either HPWC will open the charge port on the X or the older S. The new-this-week S will not respond to a signal from either HPWC. A signal from a fob or from the Tesla App will open the port, too. I conclude the problem is the new S, and I will report this.

I have an X and two S models. I have two HPWC. Either HPWC will open the charge port on the X or the older S. The new-this-week S will not respond to a signal from either HPWC. A signal from a fob or from the Tesla App will open the port, too. I conclude the problem is the new S, and I will report this.
Your charge port door needs to be calibrated. You should be able to double press on the left of it to open as well

Thanks. Manually pressing on the charge door DOES open it, but not the charge handle. I will let the SC sort it out....unless there is a way to calibrate it that is not obvious.
There is a button inside the charge port on the left. Press that to release handle. Car has to be unlocked first though. Calibrating has to be done by SC. I just press the chargeport door. Even after calibration I can’t be bothered doing the tesla model s charging dance.

There is a button inside the charge port on the left. Press that to release handle. Car has to be unlocked first though. Calibrating has to be done by SC. I just press the chargeport door. Even after calibration I can’t be bothered doing the tesla model s charging dance.
Thanks.
I stopped at a SC yesterday to confirm that the door does not respond to a click of the charge handle button. So, it is the car, not my charge handles.

I recently noticed a similar issue with my 2020 Model S. It doesn't open with the press on the left. It doesn't open with the Supercharger or Wall charger button. However, if I want to charge I now use the screen unlock button. Then connect. Then I have to touch the start charging for the ring to light blue and start the contact communication. I can also open the door with my apple watch control and the iphone. If I can't figure it out I will put in a service call.

One more oddity- After the car is sitting and I unlock the car I see the screen with the tire pressure display shows the charge door open when it is not. Then tap the brake and the display closes. Weird!

My Model Y works fine.

Decided to schedule a mobile service call for Monday Aug 15th Mty first one in 2.5 years.

Last edited:
I recently noticed a similar issue with my 2020 Model S. It doesn't open with the press on the left. It doesn't open with the Supercharger or Wall charger button. However, if I want to charge I now use the screen unlock button. Then connect. Then I have to touch the start charging for the ring to light blue and start the contact communication. I can also open the door with my apple watch control and the iphone. If I can't figure it out I will put in a service call.

One more oddity- After the car is sitting and I unlock the car I see the screen with the tire pressure display shows the charge door open when it is not. Then tap the brake and the display closes. Weird!

My Model Y works fine.

Decided to schedule a mobile service call for Monday Aug 15th Mty first one in 2.5 years.
Your charge port needs to be recalibrated by tesla

• Helpful
Reactions: Maximillan
recalibrated? I'll post back what they come up with.

Supposed to be mobile service on Monday the 15th. Hope they can fix it here. The local service center is a zoo now with many people picking up new Teslas. Hard to get into their driveway lately.

Some friends had similar problem and they replaced the entire component and charge door. I even have the part number for that.

recalibrated? I'll post back what they come up with.

Supposed to be mobile service on Monday the 15th. Hope they can fix it here. The local service center is a zoo now with many people picking up new Teslas. Hard to get into their driveway lately.

Some friends had similar problem and they replaced the entire component and charge door. I even have the part number for that.
I’ve had re-calibration done by tesla several time on several model s. Fixed it every time. ‘Recalibrate’ is what they call it. I don’t know what they do, but I know it’s quick. I also know that they cannot do it with remote or mobile service. I’ve always had to travel to the service centre.

Just an update- Based on my photos Tesla decided I needed the new assembly so they ordered it and postponed my repair until Friday the 19th waiting for the part to come in. I got a response back today that they are ready for the repair now. Still confirmed to be done at my house. My SC is only 4 miles away but they are swamped with new car deliveries. Hard to even get into the parking lot.

The door does open with the screen button and I can plug in but it doesn't connect / communicate until I select start charging on the screen or the app on the phone. It also shows the charge door open on the tire pressure screen when I open the driver's door. But the charge door is not really open.

Reactions: Maximillan