Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Port on both sides of Model 3 please?

Would you prefer dual chargin ports?

• Yes, why not!

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • No, One port is fine!

Votes: 73 71.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While we're wishing how about the ability to receive and give a charge to another Tesla!
I've posted about this before. It would be a simple matter to tweak the mobile charger firmware and supply a Tesla charge port adapter and then one Tesla could rescue another one on the roadside. It would be cool. The barrier (other than resources) is that they probably don't want to propagate the perception that roadside rescues are common enough to require this solution.

Reactions: PaulusdB
I wish Elon and Tesla would break the old ICE trend of having the gas tank/charging port on the driver side rear of the car.

I have never had a car with a gas tank filler on the driver's side; always, passenger.

But then, I've never owned a Japanese car (which puts ~90% of their filler caps on the Left). Euros are primarily right, and American cars are mixed, left or right per manufacturer. (per some googling)

A 3 owner could seriously annoy the S driver in the next Supercharger bay by using the port on the "wrong" side of their vehicle.

And if you had two ports you would need to specify which port should be unlocked/used and which should remain locked. Otherwise I'm sure there would be some comedian-in-a-hurry who would try to squeeze on the end of a row, daisy-chain two cars together and pull too much power.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3
I have never had a car with a gas tank filler on the driver's side; always, passenger.

But then, I've never owned a Japanese car (which puts ~90% of their filler caps on the Left). Euros are primarily right, and American cars are mixed, left or right per manufacturer. (per some googling)
Thats funny because I have never owned a car with with the filler on the passenger side. Tesla will be my first American made car. Something I never thought I would ever buy since all I ha e owned is Japanese cars.

The one thing I really like about the charge port on the drivers side is the visual cue to unplug it. My Prius Plugin is on the passenger side, and Probably 15% of the time I jump in and forget to unplug. Also walking around the car every time to plug and unplug seems not so convenient.

Instead of a cable over the car, anybody run one of the floor cable guards that can be driven over? Not cheap, but maybe more elegant solution.

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: Booga
The one thing I really like about the charge port on the drivers side is the visual cue to unplug it. My Prius Plugin is on the passenger side, and Probably 15% of the time I jump in and forget to unplug. Also walking around the car every time to plug and unplug seems not so convenient.

Instead of a cable over the car, anybody run one of the floor cable guards that can be driven over? Not cheap, but maybe more elegant solution.

Thanks!

As long as you never want to use some Superchargers, which are designed to only work on the driver's side.
They could always make an adapter for the Model 3 for this situation. I'm not saying that Tesla with actually make the Model 3 with a choice of what side the charger port would be on, I just think its not a bad idea.
What sort of adapter would let you change the side of the car that the charging port is on? Or do you mean some sort of extender for the cable?

I don't understand your post.

The muffler is on one side of the car. The fill cap is on the opposite side of the car.

What does a gas tank have to do with either of these statements?

Nothing, apparently. But you confused me by mentioning gas tanks in your reply:

I was wondering how they decided where to put the gas tank / or where to put the muffler.

So it's all your fault. It was late and I'm easily confused. Stop picking on the old guy! :p

Actually, I wanted to call BS on the alternate side filler neck/muffler concept, until I started looking at cars on my last highway trip.

I've posted about this before. It would be a simple matter to tweak the mobile charger firmware and supply a Tesla charge port adapter and then one Tesla could rescue another one on the roadside. It would be cool. The barrier (other than resources) is that they probably don't want to propagate the perception that roadside rescues are common enough to require this solution.
It's not a simple firmware tweak. You need hardware support as well, as Ingineer pointed out on post #8.

If the M3 came with chargers on both sides of the car, and then Tesla installed double charger hoses on current Super Chargers stalls, this could solve congestion problems really fast for the M3. :D At the same time fix my garage issues too!!! :eek:

I really don't expect to use public charging that often, but in my garage the EVSE will be located on the passenger side of the car. I will likely put a hanger on the wall near the tail of the car if the charge port is near the left taillight as I believe it is on the Model S. It just isn't realistic to put the charging station between the garage doors, given our doors spacing.

Why not install a nema 14-50 outlet there? It only takes a few inches of space and is inexpensive to install.