Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging port sometimes won't unlock Model S 75 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently when we try to plug in my Model S, sometimes it won't allow the charging cord to go in. It is like it is locked before it is plugged in somehow. I think I can hear it "trying" to unlock maybe? We mess with it (like open and close the port door, etc) and then it will allow it to plug in. It has always unlocked just fine.

Any ideas what this means? I would hate to get stuck on a trip!

-CHris

Wait until the charging port turns white (or light blue on my car). Unless it is white, it is locked and you can't plug in. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the car to power up and check itself before it is ready to accept a charging plug. I think it is dark blue when it is not ready to accept a plug.

Reactions: zoomer0056
it could be the charge port door sensor, mine went out last January. The door would open if i clicked the charge handle like normal but it would take up to 45 seconds for the lock to go down so i could insert the charge handle.
It was a $85 part (ASSY, MOTORIZED CHARGEPORT DOOR, SAE 1038548-00-I) but its on the restricted parts list so i had to pay $117 for it to get installed by tesla, even though it was a simple job easily done in the driveway.

it could be the charge port door sensor, mine went out last January. The door would open if i clicked the charge handle like normal but it would take up to 45 seconds for the lock to go down so i could insert the charge handle.
It was a $85 part (ASSY, MOTORIZED CHARGEPORT DOOR, SAE 1038548-00-I) but its on the restricted parts list so i had to pay $117 for it to get installed by tesla, even though it was a simple job easily done in the driveway.
This does sound like my issue. Thank you. What if I just don't worry about it? Will I end up getting stuck at some point? Right now, it seems like it ends up working, just a slight inconvenience sometimes.

This does sound like my issue. Thank you. What if I just don't worry about it? Will I end up getting stuck at some point? Right now, it seems like it ends up working, just a slight inconvenience sometimes.
yeah it first happened to me while on a 400 mile roadtrip so i was worried AF but it eventually would unlock so i could insert the charger and it was good.
Also using the manual release wouldn't work. if i used the manual release and then put the cable in there it would just light up red and not charge. the only way to get it to open was to wait for it to drop.
I dono if it will stay in a constant pause working state but i definitely suggest you get it repaired sooner than later just in case it does go full broken.

Eventually it will crap all the way out and you might get stuck not being able to charge.

It usually fails because the motor/sensor gets submerged in water because the drain tube inside the body work gets clogged.

No idea why they wouldn’t sell it to Airborne Spoon but it’s not a restricted part and they’ve happily sold one to me and others. It’s a pretty easy repair.

Eventually it will crap all the way out and you might get stuck not being able to charge.

It usually fails because the motor/sensor gets submerged in water because the drain tube inside the body work gets clogged.

No idea why they wouldn’t sell it to Airborne Spoon but it’s not a restricted part and they’ve happily sold one to me and others. It’s a pretty easy repair.
perhaps they have changed it to not restricted, i mean it was almost 2 years ago i got mine replaced. i dono but the folks at the Rancho Cucamonga (now upland) are awesome people and this was the only time they ever gave me crap about not selling something over the counter, i really enjoy taking my car there

Reactions: ucmndd