Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging port staying open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I have observed few times now that after I finish charging and remove the charger, the charging port does not close on it own. If I push it slightly from the top it closes. Has anyone else faced the same issue? It always opens the charging port fine but doesn't always close. It doesn't do this behavior every time either.

Attachments

• IMG_2461.jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 454
This just happened to me a couple days ago after the 2021.32.21 update. I noticed first the charge port wasn't closing a few second after unplugging like before and required the gentle nudge to close it.

Yesterday the charge port was had mysteriously opened on its own sometime overnight. It wouldn't close whether commanded from the car's touchscreen, the car's own portable EVSE, or the app. Pushing it closed worked, for a few seconds, only to have it open on its own again.

That's when I noticed the charge port looked different! There was a little shiny metal tab sticking up from the bottom inside the port. That must be the electronic latch. It was in a latched state. Sure enough, I couldn't plug in. Your photo doesn't appear to show this, so maybe not the same situation.

What to do... well, I ended up using the emergency charge port latch release inside the trunk. It took two pulls to get it to stay unlatched, but the door still wasn't working quite right. It wouldn't close on its own.

Finally I tried the two-scroll-wheel reboot. Twice.

Problem solved... for now. It's almost like the state of the charge port door and inlet latch were out-of-sequence with reality.

The charge port should close a few seconds after unplugging. If it isn't, I'd recommend using the app the schedule a service appointment.

Reactions: schlacterdream
@schlacterdream did you get a fix to your issue? Now MINE is doing the same thing. I replaced my Gen 3 ECU with a newer CCS aware model last week, but no one else who did the swap seems to be having the problem. I can open it from any device, but I cannot close it w/o pushing it closed a little. No amount of button pushing or ending a charge and pulling the connector seems to do anything.

Specifically I can open it and I can tell it to close from the app or the screen and when I tell it to close the port makes an obvious click sound. Then the lightning bolt icon for the port goes from white to grey like it should, but it doesn't physically move. If the click sound has happened I can lightly tap the flap and it will close normally. But if I didn't tell it to close first I have to push it thru a couple of detents before it will close the rest of the way on it's own.

This was not an issue before I put in the ECU, it was behaving perfectly. But last year around this time I had a similar issue happen a few times after @Big Earl mentioned his flap had needed to be replaced. After a few days we went our separate ways and I never had the issue again, and I didn't really check carefully what was happening with it, so not sure if I could describe it as the same issue.