Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Port Weirdness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 S 100D (Pre-raven) with 38k miles on 2021.4.18.2

A few days ago, I went into a store and when I came out, my charging port door was open on my car. I initially thought someone messed with my car but there was no sentry recording/notification. The next day I unplugged my car in my driveway and closed the charging port door. When I got into the car to start it, I got a message on the MCU that the charging port door was open when it was not. I chalked it up to my maybe pressing the fob button by accident.

Fast forward a few days and now the behavior is consistent. The minute I step out of the car, I get the charging door open message on the IC. About 30 seconds later, the charging port door pops open on its own. If I walk away from the car and come back to it, the door is open. I have now started waiting by the car for the port to open and manually closing it as I am worried about someone damaging it when I am in an parking lot.

Anyone ever experience something like this? No issues charging the car - it just seems like its confused.

TLDR; charge port door opens on its own every time I park and exit the car. Did software reset, removed fob from the vicinity, etc...

Yes, your charge door sensor is on the end of its life. I had similar behaviour, it was fine to close it manually until the car started to note it wouldn’t not drive if your charge port is open. So better find appointment and let them to change it. As it’s only door that needs to be changed it’s fairly simple job, I managed to do it my own. The door itself is around $80-90 plus service fee. You can find appropriate discussion here if you like to search...

Mobile coming for mine. Estimate only $94.50 installed
I hate you, mine was $80 plus $100 in labor to get fixed, and mobile service isnt available where I live so I had to go 2 hr each way to the service center.

Anyway to the OP it's just the charge port door sensor going out. Make an appt and get it fixed. Make sure they only replace the door sensor and not the charge port, that damn thing is like $300 and if the car still charges fine it's just the door sensor.

• Funny
Reactions: CaliSurfer
I hate you, mine was $80 plus $100 in labor to get fixed, and mobile service isnt available where I live so I had to go 2 hr each way to the service center.

Anyway to the OP it's just the charge port door sensor going out. Make an appt and get it fixed. Make sure they only replace the door sensor and not the charge port, that damn thing is like $300 and if the car still charges fine it's just the door sensor.
Don't hate me! They came and that price was to reboot and see what they could do without replacing door! They will come back and install door cuz reboot didn't fix it. Waiting for the estimate and the part to come in (back-ordered). Didn't get charged for this visit...yet.