Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the M3 for about a week now. All seems to go well except for a few issues with the charging port:

1. The mobile app keeps saying the charge port is open even though it's not.
2. The button on the supercharger connector doesn't open the charge port.

Anyone else having similar issues?

There is a release that unlocks the charge cable from the charge port located in the rear trunk, driver's side near the trunk light. Small rubber grip cable pull which releases the lock securing the cable in place. Could be handy if loss of 12V power or some other failure that prevents charge cable release. Thanks to @Vistan for discovering the cable (even if he was too chicken to actually pull it:p)
IMG_9067.JPG

I haven't been to a supercharger yet, but I can confirm that on two different HPWC's that the button on the handle does not open the charging port. The car is unlocked and tapping the door does open it. The button on the handle of the included UMC with my Model 3 does open the charging port. They must have changed the frequency of the RF signal, and the Model 3 isn't recognizing the old frequency. Hopefully this can be fixed with a software update so the Model 3 will recognize the older charging connectors' buttons.

I haven't been to a supercharger yet, but I can confirm that on two different HPWC's that the button on the handle does not open the charging port. The car is unlocked and tapping the door does open it. The button on the handle of the included UMC with my Model 3 does open the charging port. They must have changed the frequency of the RF signal, and the Model 3 isn't recognizing the old frequency. Hopefully this can be fixed with a software update so the Model 3 will recognize the older charging connectors' buttons.

My HPWC opens it just fine every night.

With home and destination chargers, I learnt with S that sometimes you need to try different positions when pressing the handle button. Best for S was about mid way down rear hatch window. On Model 3 this appears to be to left of charge port flap. Does work, though agree it is less willing than the S.
Of course you could just try long pressing the trunk/boot button on remote... oh, yea.... ;)

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
On Model 3 this appears to be to left of charge port flap.

I have to be very close to the charge port on the 3 for it to open it (an inch or two away).

This is the trick I was missing. I was holding the end 12" back, you know, so the door doesn't swing open and hit the connector. But they are correct, even 6" back is no good. I have to be within 2" of the upper left corner of the door, then it works. Of course, tapping the door always works too. Thanks all!