Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Powerwall Overnight

timpharrison

Jul 23, 2019
London
Hi,

Has anyone calculated how much energy could be drawn and stored overnight (12:30pm to 04:30am) in the Powerwall?

I’m in the UK and on my electricity tariff (Octopus Go), rates are one third of regular during this period.

I can’t fit solar panels so am thinking about the economics of just taking power off the grid when it’s cheaper and using during the day.

Our house consumes a lot of power (70 to 100Kwh per day, including the Tesla).

Tim

Gdotp

Aug 1, 2021
Uk
3.5 *4 = 14 in theory but you can’t force it to do this as it’s down to the so called AI to do it. You can influence is by setting the off peak period and if you are dedicated by setting the minim charge level at 0.30 to 100% and then back down again at 04:30 manually (octopus Go)

The biggest issue with the PW is lack of control of this by the user and it’s reliance on its own, poor, AI. Many such threads discuui g this

Reactions: timpharrison

EVRider-FL

Aug 18, 2015
South Florida
Have you calculated whether your electricity savings would offset the cost of the Powerwall(s)? Seems unlikely. Given your energy usage, I don’t think one Powerwall would be enough.

Reactions: timpharrison

xWren

Sep 22, 2021
UK
@timpharrison I'm in Cornwall and on that very same tariff so I can answer your question from actual experience.

Leaving Tesla to control the charging/discharging of the Powerwall is next to useless for us in the UK, their algorithm can't cope with the daily variation in our weather let alone variation in domestic use. In time-based mode it will make very bad decisions, cost you money and leave you angry as Hell!

I run in self-powered mode and adjust the power reserve percentage at 12:29pm and 04:29am to trick the Powerwall into changing from the grid in that off-peak period and not discharge. It does so at 1.7kW (the slow rate, not the possible 3.4kW), hence at most it can store 6.8kWh. This is not ideal but at the moment there is no way to get the faster rate.

Thankfully I have the skills to write a script that I run on a RPi that automates making the API requests to change the settings at the right times. Without something like that you would need to be awake at those times to use the app to change them.

Zabe

Jun 11, 2021
Placerville, CA
I have a 3 powerwall only installation with no solar. I can charge them from 5% to 100% in 4 hours. I use time based control. It took Tesla 10 weeks to get it operating correctly but now it is flawless. You don't have to worry about some poorly designed algo, they charge at the start of off peak and discharge during peak time. I get all my energy at off peak prices. 99% of people here have solar with powerwall and do not know that this works because they are not allowed to grid charge except during storm watch.

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
The OP is specifically asking about Powerwalls WITHOUT solar. The Powerwall system works differently in Time Based Control mode when configured without solar. The API workarounds should not be necessary in this case.

In order to see how well it will work for your specific situation, you need to establish how much usage (total kWh) cannot be shifted to the Off-Peak hours. Things like car charging can be pushed into the Off-Peak, but if you are charging Powerwalls at max rate and charging a car, you may start to approach or exceed you maximum allowable grid draw during that short window.

Let's say you reliably have 40kWh that cannot be shifted into Off-Peak. You would need 3 Powerwalls to nearly supply that with no extra Reserve for power cuts. With 4 Powerwalls, you could supply the 40kWh with 15%-20% reserved for power cuts. I don't know your prices, but you said 3X during daytime compared to the Off-Peak window. Let's call that 10p/kWh and 30p/kWh. You would need to consume 45kWh @ 10p/kWh = 4.50GBP for charging to avoid 40kWh @ 30p/kWh = 12.00GBP. That's a savings of 7.50GBP/day. I don't know how much it costs to install Powerwalls in the UK, but the payback is probably more than the 10 year warranty period.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
99% of people here have solar with powerwall and do not know that this works because they are not allowed to grid charge except during storm watch.

99% of the people in the United States, but this OP is not in the US. Outside the US, there are likely many more people that either have powerwalls only, or have their powerwalls charge from the grid.

xWren

Sep 22, 2021
UK
The OP is specifically asking about Powerwalls WITHOUT solar. The Powerwall system works differently in Time Based Control mode when configured without solar. The API workarounds should not be necessary in this case.
Thanks for pointing that out. My previous post regarding my experience with Time-based mode is with solar generation that can vary by 15kWh from one day to the next. That is what the Tesla algorithm can't cope with (and I doubt the coders considered).

Zabe

Jun 11, 2021
Placerville, CA
99% of the people in the United States, but this OP is not in the US. Outside the US, there are likely many more people that either have powerwalls only, or have their powerwalls charge from the grid.
That is probably true. In this forum 99% of people have solar and powerwall's and tend to give misinformation because they do not know how it works without solar.

Gdotp

Aug 1, 2021
Uk
@timpharrison I'm in Cornwall and on that very same tariff so I can answer your question from actual experience.

Leaving Tesla to control the charging/discharging of the Powerwall is next to useless for us in the UK, their algorithm can't cope with the daily variation in our weather let alone variation in domestic use. In time-based mode it will make very bad decisions, cost you money and leave you angry as Hell!

I run in self-powered mode and adjust the power reserve percentage at 12:29pm and 04:29am to trick the Powerwall into changing from the grid in that off-peak period and not discharge. It does so at 1.7kW (the slow rate, not the possible 3.4kW), hence at most it can store 6.8kWh. This is not ideal but at the moment there is no way to get the faster rate.

Thankfully I have the skills to write a script that I run on a RPi that automates making the API requests to change the settings at the right times. Without something like that you would need to be awake at those times to use the app to change them.
Hi are you sure it can’t charge at 3.4. It looks like mine did the other day and I’ve certainly seen it get to 90% in the past. See below. The usage shown is 3.6kw but I’ve got an overnight load of 200 to 300w.

Could you share your RPi script, I do t have the skills but can probably tinker enough for it to run on my Homebridge RPi.
F5473F93-50D7-4864-9F71-FEB5E229A68D.png

xWren

Sep 22, 2021
UK
Hi are you sure it can’t charge at 3.4. It looks like mine did the other day and I’ve certainly seen it get to 90% in the past. See below. The usage shown is 3.6kw but I’ve got an overnight load of 200 to 300w.
Yes, it can charge at the faster rate when in Time-based control mode and the algorithm decides to do so. I am guessing that is what you are showing. What I described was the rate when in self-powered mode, then it is 1.7kW and in a my 4 hour cheap window can only pull 6.8kWh.

I'll ping you when I get around to putting my scripts (which I modified from the work of others I need to credit) up onto Github. I'm just not that organised.

Gdotp

Aug 1, 2021
Uk
Yes, it can charge at the faster rate when in Time-based control mode and the algorithm decides to do so. I am guessing that is what you are showing. What I described was the rate when in self-powered mode, then it is 1.7kW and in a my 4 hour cheap window can only pull 6.8kWh.

I'll ping you when I get around to putting my scripts (which I modified from the work of others I need to credit) up onto Github. I'm just not that organised.
Thx. Me neither

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC