Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charging Problem" error message, unable to charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, as I had no way to check those fuses, I just swapped them for a test. Now I get a complete different fault: PEM cable fault. I'm quite convinced I'm on the right track, so I quickly ordered a new fuse. The only shop I found here in Europe had only 1 in stock but I somehow think only one has died.. Anyway, it won't be here before Monday, but I still have enough charge on the battery to try this out before sending it to the SeC...

I'll add some pictures of the fuses, they are Bussmann FWH-150B 500V 150A.
Take a good look at the text on the board in the 2nd picture. :biggrin:

24525084280_fab2def82b_c.jpg

24193798233_93ca7619a0_c.jpg

Last edited:
I tested now with 1 new fuse, in any combination. Whatever I try: PEM Cable fault.
Before I touched those fuses, at least the car was driveable, now it no longer is :( The BSM Isolation faults no longer appear now.
When I try to charge the blue ring is constant on (not blinking) before it ends in Red blinking. The VDS does see the difference in physical chargers (32A or 64A) but jumps a minute between 0 and 1 V before going in error.
For what it's worth, as a final try I re-fitted and re-checked the 4 connectors at the bottom, they all look just fine.
I also just learned that the Road Side Assistance is not valid after the warranty period. For some reason I was wrongly convinced that Roadsters had lifetime assistance... This now means paying for the 100km tow + replacement car. :cursing:

I would double check everything you took apart and make sure its all put back together properly. Without a meter its really hard to diagnose an electrical problem.

I did that a number of times. Now it's time to give up and send it to the SeC. Now I only have to wait 48 hours before my new Road Side assistance contract will be activated...
Meanwhile, this problem also pushed me into buying a second car. Probably a Mercedes B Electric (with Tesla drivetrain and 30kW battery), perfect for my commute.

PEM cable fault occurs when you remove the PEM, it clears on its own. Drive it for a little bit and see if it persists, I've swapped about a dozen PEMs and every time there is a PEM cable fault after the swap which goes away after a brief test-drive. Give it a drive then plug it in and see what you got!

I tested now with 1 new fuse, in any combination. Whatever I try: PEM Cable fault.
Before I touched those fuses, at least the car was driveable, now it no longer is :( The BSM Isolation faults no longer appear now.
When I try to charge the blue ring is constant on (not blinking) before it ends in Red blinking. The VDS does see the difference in physical chargers (32A or 64A) but jumps a minute between 0 and 1 V before going in error.
For what it's worth, as a final try I re-fitted and re-checked the 4 connectors at the bottom, they all look just fine.
I also just learned that the Road Side Assistance is not valid after the warranty period. For some reason I was wrongly convinced that Roadsters had lifetime assistance... This now means paying for the 100km tow + replacement car. :cursing:

PEM cable fault occurs when you remove the PEM, it clears on its own. Drive it for a little bit and see if it persists, I've swapped about a dozen PEMs and every time there is a PEM cable fault after the swap which goes away after a brief test-drive. Give it a drive then plug it in and see what you got!

I get that error as soon as I "start" the car. I'm unable to drive it, it doesn't want to go in D, R or N.
My car is now in the good hands of the SeC. If they declare the PEM dead, I'll ship it to you for repair ;)

I get that error as soon as I "start" the car. I'm unable to drive it, it doesn't want to go in D, R or N.
My car is now in the good hands of the SeC. If they declare the PEM dead, I'll ship it to you for repair ;)

I think it will be cheaper to ship ElectricLove to Belgium for a couple of days then shipping a PEM to the US :)

I think it will be cheaper to ship ElectricLove to Belgium for a couple of days then shipping a PEM to the US :)

I ended up in San Francisco a couple weekends ago based on this logic! Depending on access to parts...

m0rph; Another possibility is that when you had the PEM out you damaged one of those connectors on the bottom, there are 4 and each of them is quite finicky, very easily broken, if you don't set the PEM down just the right way you may have damaged one; they are also tough to find parts as molex only sells them in manufacturer lots of about 1,000 units at a time... We have a few, not many...

I doubt that I did anything wrong to the connectors. No tension was on the cables and no rough setting down of the PEM. And I re-checked those connectors at least twice.. But never say never..
Today is day 8 in the Service Center, and they are still trying to figure out what's the cause of it...

Mouser and Digikey both sell the connectors. Minimum qty one. You can also buy replacement pins, both male and female.

Please give me links, I wasn't just trying to blow smoke up someones keester... I honestly have tried to buy them, you may be talking about the larger connectors? The smaller one I was looking for was P/N: 19427-0106