Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging problem with new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone...I picked up my Standard Range today and found a problem with charging when I got home. I have a 14-50 outlet installed recently to use with the mobile charger. When I started charging, it says "limited charging" "Charge cable may not be plugged in correctly" and it is only charging at "16amp/32amp." It has a clicking sound when I put in the charger and it blinks orange. I brought the car to a Chargepoint station and used the adapter and it charges normally at 32amp and blinks green. I tried connecting it to the regular outlet and the mobile charger unit doesn't charge.

I assume it is either the mobile charger unit or the outlet itself...thoughts? thanks,

Hi everyone...I picked up my Standard Range today and found a problem with charging when I got home. I have a 14-50 outlet installed recently to use with the mobile charger. When I started charging, it says "limited charging" "Charge cable may not be plugged in correctly" and it is only charging at "16amp/32amp." It has a clicking sound when I put in the charger and it blinks orange. I brought the car to a Chargepoint station and used the adapter and it charges normally at 32amp and blinks green. I tried connecting it to the regular outlet and the mobile charger unit doesn't charge.

I assume it is either the mobile charger unit or the outlet itself...thoughts? thanks,

If you can count how many times it blinks you should be able to narrow down what problem it is identifying. See page 11/12 of the manual.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: darth_vad3r
It blinks a yellow light and not a red light at the port...the manual only says red.

Ah...I assume you mean the car port is blinking orange? That just indicates reduced charging current. Which you already mentioned...

So the UMC shows no error?

For the charge port light details: the Model 3 Owner’s Manual, page 125ish.
https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

But, it sounds possible the UMC is bad if it really does not work on ANY 120V outlet. It should work on *something*. And the car itself sounds like it is fine.

I would not blame your 14-50 installation just yet, as the 120V does not work either.

Not sure what might be wrong. I would plug/unplug adapters from UMC, make sure all contacts look clean, and try again. If you can’t make the UMC work on a 120V outlet (try it at a different location too), then take it up with Tesla.

If the 120V can be made to work great, then we can move on to possible 14-50 wiring problems. But based on what you said so far I suspect the UMC is broken.

• Helpful
Reactions: darth_vad3r
To the OP, had a very similar charging issue when I took my new Model 3 home. Kept thinking was it my connection, sockets...wirings...finally took my “brand new” charging cable with adaptors back to the SC, within 10 minutes they swapped me out with new adaptors and cables...and worked perfectly at home after. There are lemons out there. So bring them to the SC( appt needed for this), in n out in 10 mins.

Good luck

To the OP, had a very similar charging issue when I took my new Model 3 home. Kept thinking was it my connection, sockets...wirings...finally took my “brand new” charging cable with adaptors back to the SC, within 10 minutes they swapped me out with new adaptors and cables...and worked perfectly at home after. There are lemons out there. So bring them to the SC( appt needed for this), in n out in 10 mins.

Good luck
“ NO appt needed”

And also that the UMC is pushed firmly into the car's charging port. I've gotten that warning and reduced charge rate when I failed to slide it all the way home in its slot.

Yeah, this sounds to me like what happens when the car can not positively latch itself onto the charge cord. In that case it limits itself to something like 16 amps in order to reduce the possible arc flash if you pulled it out while under charging load.

• Informative
Reactions: F14Scott

@khadotcom, I am having the same issue with the NEMA 14/150 adapter on the mobile charger. Picked up car yesterday and its only charging at 16/32A at 240V. I have tried all suggestions but no luck. The standard outlet adapter seems to be working fine but I still see yellow flashing T at the charge port and the same message ""Charge cable may not be plugged in correctly". Were you able to figure it out or should I take it to the service center just like @aihcmot has suggested?

I went back to the delivery center today and got a replacement charger which is working now. No more yellow light while charging at home and I am getting full 32A charge rate through the NEMA 14/50 adapter.

They tried a couple of different mobile chargers which had the same issue. Apparently the notch on the faulty chargers is off by a few millimeters which prevents the charge port on the car from latching on to the charger. This causes the charge rate to drop from 32A to 16A on a NEMA 14/50 connection and the charging light tunes flashing yellow. An error message indicating "Limited Charging" is displayed on the screen as well as on the app.

Given that there were other new chargers with the same issue at the delivery center, I would advice everyone to test the charger at the delivery center before leaving to save an additional trip.

The delivery center employees were very helpful and solved the issue to my satisfaction. Kudos to them.

We got the reduced charging warning and I checked the obvious stuff. When the wife left with the car and the red “T” in the Tesla light on the charging cord was still lit, I suspected a cord problem. Upon closer inspection, the 50 amp “pig tail” that connects to the charging cord was not fully seated. Pushing them together and hearing it click solved the problem. So three areas to check: car to cord, cord to pigtail, pigtail to receptacle.

• Helpful
Reactions: eprosenx
First post, I’m also having the same issue. This is currently on a normal 120v outlet and made sure to check the 3 areas. The outlet (used another one, same result), Made sure the pigtail connection was all the way in, and made sure that the car plug was all the way in with no debris in the plug. I still see limited charging. When connecting and when initially connecting the plug, it sounds like it’s trying to lock in but it won’t hold. Just constant clicking.

First post, I’m also having the same issue. This is currently on a normal 120v outlet and made sure to check the 3 areas. The outlet (used another one, same result), Made sure the pigtail connection was all the way in, and made sure that the car plug was all the way in with no debris in the plug. I still see limited charging. When connecting and when initially connecting the plug, it sounds like it’s trying to lock in but it won’t hold. Just constant clicking.
If cord is plugged into wall, but not into car, and the “TESLA” on the charging cord pigtail connector is all green lettering, it would indicate a car/cord connection problem. I would try to find a Supercharger to plug into to check the ability of the car to accept charge. You could also use your plug to try to charge another Tesla, and see if that would work. Check for green lettering on cord first (while only plugged into wall)

If cord is plugged into wall, but not into car, and the “TESLA” on the charging cord pigtail connector is all green lettering, it would indicate a car/cord connection problem. I would try to find a Supercharger to plug into to check the ability of the car to accept charge. You could also use your plug to try to charge another Tesla, and see if that would work. Check for green lettering on cord first (while only plugged into wall)
I’m having this problem- will charge for 5-10 min on my 240v-50amp breaker. Then will hear a click sound from my charging pigtail. Goes from flowing green pattern to solid green. Connected it to 120v outlet and worked for 17 hrs charging. Electrician came back and checked his work and that’s good 120-120-240v
D61F422D-BDAE-4B2C-983D-660B6EDEE45C.png
83458B7D-C101-46F5-B123-33A15FEF550E.png
. Seems like it goes to sleep and won’t charge when it does idk...