Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
503259B9-6828-4D81-A7BB-7B1D0694C55E.jpeg
503259B9-6828-4D81-A7BB-7B1D0694C55E.jpeg
331F2987-C733-427F-AD84-60B9F1B8D9E1.jpeg
D7D4C188-9010-4957-9E66-F00FFDF94AFC.jpeg
First time I’ve used my MS Mobile Connector (120V) with Henry Sharp’s CAN SR to charge my roadster and I’m getting an error message. Anyone encounter this?

The error is related to the voltage being delivered to the car, and a detected sag. The presumption is that you were using an extension cable, but it could be caused by pulling more current than the wiring can deliver, or a loose connection somewhere along the way. This can be dangerous, so take it seriously.

Unless the house is wired in a non-standard way, that's a 15 amp outlet, which means a max of 12 amps can be drawn (80%). What were you set at, and were there any other appliances on the circuit? The Roadster's default is 16 amps. If you are getting the message with a manually-reduced current setting, you might try a different outlet, and see if the results change. If they do, that would indicate a wiring issue on the circuit, again, something that should be looked into.

Reactions: hcsharp
no other applicances on the circuit. it appears the roadster was set at 70A which is crazy because before moving into the condo I had it set at 24V charging via CAN SR using my Model S HPWC. I have now set it to 12A and so far it's been fine. I still get that error message but I just ignore it.

So if it's still complaining at 12 amps, I'd recommend getting an electrician out to take a look at the circuit. It shouldn't have enough sag at 12 amps to trigger the alert. You might try 8 amps, just to see what happens. That might frame up the situation better.

It might just be that you have a low mains voltage from the power company, but if it's a loose connection or undersized wire, that could pose a fire hazard. Good idea to figure out which situation it is.

no other applicances on the circuit. it appears the roadster was set at 70A which is crazy because before moving into the condo I had it set at 24V charging via CAN SR using my Model S HPWC. I have now set it to 12A and so far it's been fine. I still get that error message but I just ignore it.
I think you still have a problem. gregd is right. Eight years ago I wouldn't have said this but in that time I've seen some bad things happen (not with any CANs, knock on wood).

Also, having your Roadster set at 70A does not mean it will charge at 70A. It means it will charge at the rate your charger is set at, up to 70A if your charger is set that high. It sounds like your wall charger is set at 24A so your car won't charge any faster. Although at the moment I would keep it at 12A until you find out what's wrong. Hope I clarified all that...