Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I saw that - one of my friends has a 14-50 so I might give that a try after Tesla calls me back. Seems strange that it would be my wiring or plug since everything was fine for 2 weeks and then the error. Plus I have never even unplugged the UMC until this problem started. At least I can still charge at 30A. Woke up to 200 miles this morning with my level set at 75%.

Just want to give props to smsprague (and did with rep last night when reading this thread) plus everyone else on this thread - new owner & instead of freaking out, he's been troubleshooting with a bunch of helpful folks. If only everyone was as *adult* like :).

Seems strange that it would be my wiring or plug since everything was fine for 2 weeks and then the error.

I agree totally; I'd be most suspicious of the UMC/adapter. If you can narrow it down to one of the two, that info plus logs might make it easy for Tesla to know what part to send to you (since you can't easily drive to the service center). Although if it's the 6-50 adapter, you may be SOL.

Just want to give props to smsprague (and did with rep last night when reading this thread) plus everyone else on this thread - new owner & instead of freaking out, he's been troubleshooting with a bunch of helpful folks. If only everyone was as *adult* like :).

Well, until I get off my butt and order, I have to live vicariously through others! :wink:

Ranger coming tomorrow - this is what I have discovered so far .

1. Car will only charge at 30A using the 6-50 adapter.
2. Car will only charge at 30A using the 14-50 adapter.
3. Car charged fine at 30A public charge point.
4. Car charged at 40A on a 70A public charge point - I gave a single charger.

My bet is the UMC

I thought each charger was limited to 40 Amps? What you saw sounds right to me with a single charger. Unless it's a DC charger, but that is currently limited to CHAdeMO or Superchargers, as far as I understand.
I think some people are confusing "charger" with EVSE ("charging equipment" or "charging station"). The charger is what's in the cars, and for Model S it's limited to 40A. That means cars with dual chargers can charge at up to 80A. Level 2 charging stations can be anywhere from 30A to 80A output. Even less than 30A sometimes if the unit is defective like Blink.

What Lloyd said in the post after yours about "30-40 amps is what the government mandated" isn't entirely accurate. The government didn't mandate that level 2 charging be limited to that power, but when subsidies were given a few years ago the spec was for minimum 30A charging stations, so that's what everyone installed rather than more expensive ones. It was more than enough to charge Leafs and Volts. This predated the Model S. I think the only production car that could take a higher charge then was the Roadster.

I was in Scottsdale Monday to have my windows tinted. After leaving I had lunch and plugged into a charger at the mall, when I returned I had an unable to charge message. I didn't think much of it, drove to Fashion Square to go exchange some baby clothes at Tesla store and pick up some HPWC charge for the drive back to Tucson. I noticed car was only charging at 32 amps. Asked the guys at Tesla, they had never seen that, we reset the charger, unplugged various times etc, same message then, unable to charge.
So we drove to Service center, quickly found out my main charger was malfunctioning.
Spent the night, got a loaner 60 (man do I love my p85+ even more now).
Charger replaced, car detailed, drove home yesterday.
It could be an onboard charger issue.

PS I have an HPWC so if you ever need to try it out feel free to come by. Im on plugshare. West side.

Sounds like a bad UMC if you're not getting a large voltage drop.

I use the UMC at 40A on a circuit that is a long run from the main panel. (Main panel -> sub panel in detached garage 150ft away -> 14-50 outlet another 40ft away)

Voltage sits at 244V @ 0A load. Drops to 231V at 40A, a 13V drop... 520W lost as heat in the long wiring somewhere between the outlet and the transformer. (At the main panel this drop is present also, just not as bad... so not all of that resistance is in the property wiring... ~237V at the main panel)

Anyway, the Model S happily eats up the 231V*40A=9.2kW without complaint, even with other loads kicking off and on (A/C for one).

Back on firmware 5.8 I had it complain one time and drop to 30A... nothing since 5.9/5.11.

You don't happen to still be on 5.8 right?

- - - Updated - - -

I see your signature says delivery ~2 weeks ago... so, doubt you have 5.8. :p

Yeah, the onboard chargers are all solid state hardware AFAIK... not much to really go wrong with them. If it works at public charging, but doesn't work at home with two different UMCs... I'd definitely be investigating a home wiring issue next. Could be as simple as a loose connection somewhere.

I find it pretty unlikely, given what you've described, that the onboard charger is at fault. :(

Even if it happens at a friend's 14-50 outlet... doesn't mean his is any better.

I don't have a wiring issue - same thing happens at another 14-50 outlet at a friends jouse

Then there must be some wiring problem inside the charger (or perhaps the charging port) as yours is the first I've heard of that will charge from a J1772, but not from the UMC. The charger failures I've heard of (including mine) won't charge from anything.

I don't have a wiring issue - same thing happens at another 14-50 outlet at a friends house - plus it worked for 2 weeks without issue

The two weeks means nothing. When a connection starts to heat/cool, it takes some time before a problem becomes apparent. The other outlet is confusing. What amps/voltage are you recording during the ramp up?