TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging problems with an older HPC and a newer 2.5 Roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Sparrow, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

I have been charging my 1.5 Roadster (number 189) with an older HPC model 06-001919-00. I've had no problems charging my car. Today I invited another Roadster owner with a 2.5 version car to use my HPC since I have 70 amp cabilities with it, but everytime we try starting a charge on his car it trips the GFI on the side of the HPC and shows red lights on both the car' charge port and the HPC and an error message on the screen in the Roadster saying there is a charger failure. We've tried starting the charging at various other charging rates besides 70 amps with the same issues. Anyone have some insights on this problem. To be clear the HPC still works just fine on my 1.5 version car and Richard has used other HPCs before without issue.

2. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Looking for more information - How long ago did Richard use the other HPCs? Have you tried charging with another device such as a UMC or SMC? Have you tried a local J1772 station? How many volts does it show on his VDS?

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Not much help but i have a 1.5 and an older HPC and my car charges fine as did a newer 2.5 sport. So it should be possible..

4. Sparrow

The UMC worked fine, but we were limited to 32 amps since my other outlet only had a 40 amp breaker. The voltage reading was in the mid 240s. He had used dhrivnak's charger I guess a few months ago.

5. Sparrow

We just now tested his car on my J1772 EVSE (at 32 amps) with success too so our only issue has been with the HPC.

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Since tripped GFI was mentioned, I thought I would point out this old thread:
    The GFCI topic

7. tomsax

tomsax Member

#7 tomsax, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    2.x Roadsters have an issue where they can trip a ground fault because of a small, brief current imbalance at the start of charging. Some 2.x Roadsters have more of a problem than others. Some charging stations are more fussy about this than others.

Chad's 2.0 Roadster wouldn't charge from any ChargePoint stations even though other 2.0 Roadsters could. He had to make a big stink about it, but Tesla did finally replace his PEM to fix the problem.

1.5 Roadsters have a much smaller issue. I was able to charge from a SemaConnect station in Santa Rosa even though those stations are very sensitive and we have multiple reports of 2.x Roadsters not charging.

So the problem that started this thread could be an especially leaky 2.5 Roadster or an especially touchy HPC.

8. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

Most problems that I have had with my HPC have come by way of our utility from a cogeneration plant. (which from what I'm told will be fixed with a line conditioner within the next two weeks.) One of the ChargePoint stations that I have charged at is pretty touchy and for the longest time until having my PEM removed to clean it. After which it charges just fine off of that ChargePoint.

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I've had a HPC used on a 2.0 that tripped 5 times before I finally got it to work on my 2.5 (visiting a friends house). I've used other HPCs without any problems though too.

10. I have had the same problem with a Semaconnect (Daly City) and one of my 2.5 Roadsters....It took about 7 tries to finally get the Semaconnect at a Walgreens to work. My 2.0 worked fine with this station, (haven't checked the other 2.5 but I am thinking it will have problems).

11. slcasner

slcasner Member

I have a 1.5 Roadster and one of the old-style HPCs. I've been charging for 3.5 years without any problems, but a few weeks ago the GFI tripped. I noticed it when I set the car to charge at 2AM after manually stopping a charge, but the car did not charge. After I figured out the problem, I reset the GFI and did not have trouble after that.