Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging problems with tesla s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had problems charging our Tesla S75, specifically at the Coffs Harbour supercharger. We had this problem ten days ago and then again today: we plug the charger in and the strong blue light comes on behind the charge port but the flashing green light does not commence, and the screen says to open the charge port (which is of course open) and that the car is ready to charge. The first time we moved the car to 3 different chargers and unplugged and replugged the car eight times without charging. I called several tesla phone numbers for help. The Alexandria number never answers and the US number advised me to replug it again, for the 9th time. And this time it worked and charged satisfactorily.
Today a similar thing happened except that several times the light behind the port flashed red. I called the 1800 number and spoke to Audrey in Utah, who checked the car, could find nothing wrong and suggested a slightly faulty connection could be the problem, so to try again. While we were talking it started to charge, having been plugged in for 4 minutes. Audrey said she had done nothing so we agreed that we had just "got lucky".
But this is a major inconvenience and should not be happening. Can anyone help? Some months ago we had a CCS2 port retrofitted but we have charged the car without problem at other superchargers many times since. Any advice most welcome.

We have had problems charging our Tesla S75, specifically at the Coffs Harbour supercharger. We had this problem ten days ago and then again today: we plug the charger in and the strong blue light comes on behind the charge port but the flashing green light does not commence, and the screen says to open the charge port (which is of course open) and that the car is ready to charge. The first time we moved the car to 3 different chargers and unplugged and replugged the car eight times without charging. I called several tesla phone numbers for help. The Alexandria number never answers and the US number advised me to replug it again, for the 9th time. And this time it worked and charged satisfactorily.
Today a similar thing happened except that several times the light behind the port flashed red. I called the 1800 number and spoke to Audrey in Utah, who checked the car, could find nothing wrong and suggested a slightly faulty connection could be the problem, so to try again. While we were talking it started to charge, having been plugged in for 4 minutes. Audrey said she had done nothing so we agreed that we had just "got lucky".
But this is a major inconvenience and should not be happening. Can anyone help? Some months ago we had a CCS2 port retrofitted but we have charged the car without problem at other superchargers many times since. Any advice most welcome.
Take a photo next time, then report it for service on your phone app. I think you can upload the photo. I’ve found tesla always like proof before changing an item

Today we had another problem charging at Coffs Harbour superchargers and only 2 out of 6 were working. Another person was trying to charge his car also had the same problem. He had tried to charge at Port Macquarie and the same problem existed with only one charger working. There is nothing wrong with our car as charging at home is fine.

Today we had another problem charging at Coffs Harbour superchargers and only 2 out of 6 were working. Another person was trying to charge his car also had the same problem. He had tried to charge at Port Macquarie and the same problem existed with only one charger working. There is nothing wrong with our car as charging at home is fine.
I think charging at a supercharger is different plug connections than charging at home. Someone more knowledgable might be able to confirm that?

The on board charger\s are not used when Supercharging, however there appears to be a separate module within the On-Board charger that does the negotiation between the car and the Supercharger that can fail and the only time you will find that out is when you try to Supercharge.
I have a 2014 Model S with Twin chargers and I don't often use Superchargers, relying on AC charging for 99% or my needs.
A couple of years ago I was driving to Melbourne from the Southern Highlands South of Sydney so turned up at Gundagai Supercharger only to find it wouldn't charge. The display came up with Starting to Charge but went no further.
After a much slower trip to Melbourne than planned they replaced the primary charger in my car that has the Supercharger module in it and the return trip was uneventful.