Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

exlatccatsa

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2020
Kemnay
With the lack of sunshine lately, I have been using public chargers more. The one id like to use is a 50kW DC combo but comes up with an error within half a kW charge if I try to charge from between 20 and 85℅. But only seems to apply to M3LR and M3P as the SR charges normally. However, I can only get 40kW peak power. So I usually end up using the type 2 AC 3 phase on the same machine, rated at 22kW but I only ever get 12kW at 16a. I've switched to another non tethered charger this morning also rated at 22kW 3 phase and still only charging at 16a and 12kW. I'm at 30% battery do should be charging at park rate. Does my car have a problem?
Why is it not charging at the rated output of the chargers? I have no option to increase the charge current above 16a but can reduce it. 12kW is still almost twice as fast as I can charge at home and it's free. it's just a pain being at a charger when I could be doing other things.

The P and LR owners have stopped using this DC charger thinking its u/s. Because of the error..it doesn't happen with the SR..
Just this charger though. But I've seen other makes use this charger with no problem..ive reported it in detail..hopefully they can fix it as I'll be using it more in the winter.
Thanks Vanilla-Air for the clarification.

Reactions: MrBadger
I use a local 50kwh charger (the big GeniePoint ones) for 90% of my charging because it’s free and I usually only get around 30-40kwh out of it on my SR+ I did some digging and it looks like it is down to the charger not the car. I have tried several other chargers on the network and they are all the same.

Also once the cable had been left out on the floor and had gotten wet so I was only getting 7kwh out of it.