TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging procedure

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Todd Burch, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

The press-n-hold and charge door opens text is repeated on the website. Is this currently enabled in latest software? I haven't heard of any sig deliveries using it.

2. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

It works, but apparently only if the car is unlocked, and only for the supplied multi-adaptor charger, not the J1772 "can". And it is even quirkier than that! Suppose you want to charge with J1772, so you have to remember to open the charge port door before you get out of the car. Then you get out, close the car door, and go and futz with the Blink (or whoever) charger, and you hear "clunk" from the car as it locks itself. Fine... except it also engages the thing in the charge port socket that locks the plug/adaptor in place! So now you are ready to charge, but you can't plug in! You have to unlock the car again...

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

@ggr: Isn't the correct sequence:
    1. Open charger port from touchscreen
    2. Exit car
    3. Plug J1772 adapter into port
    4. Futz with EVSE
    5. Plug EVSE cord into J1772 adapter
    6. Walk away and let the car lock itself
    ?

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Someone really needs to make some laminated quick start cards. One for charging, one for the steering wheel buttons, and probably more. I wouldn't expect Denise to remember all these things.

5. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Really? How about:

1) Open gas port
    2) Exit car
    3) Unscrew gas cap
    4) Futz with gas pump (including payment, selecting type of gas, ...)
    5) Put nozzle into port
    6) Stand around for a few minutes pumping the gas
    7) Put nozzle back

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I think you read too much into the suggestion. I didn't get a vibe of "it's harder than ICE" or "it's worse than ICE", just that it's new and different and there's an education process involved.

If a gasoline car was a new thing in the current era, there probably would be laminated cards to educate the masses.

EVs are the new thing, and it's a reasonable suggestion IMO. Also, Robert's instructions are Tesla specific rather than EV general.

7. jerry33

That was the intention. You use the laminated sheets until you have internalized the instructions. Some will be internalized after couple of times and some will take longer. There are a number of new/different things and the Mercedes set of buttons on the steering wheel has some non-obvious things, such as holding down both scroll buttons to initialize one of the displays--I forget which one. No one would intuitively know that and if it happened by chance there would be a few scary moments while the display rebooted. The first time I didn't fully close the driver's door on the Prius was similar. If you are in D and don't have the door fully closed, all the warning lights light up, including the big red triangle, and there is a message on the display about the transmission. The door ajar light is also on but it's one of many so there's no indication that it's actually what the alerts are about.

Toyota provided some laminated sheets for both starting the Prius and for the navigation system. There were even some valet cards.

8. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I wasn't meaning it that way -- more that it's a similar-sized list of instructions and we all learned pretty quickly when we first started driving.
    But I see your point that this is new to everyone, so it's not like you can just ask the person next to you for help, and it's not like you watched your parents plug theirs in when you were growing up ... or watching someone else at the station next to you ... and of course it's Tesla-specific. All good points.
    Perhaps some instructions can come up on the screen when you open the charge port? Instructions on the adapter? (trying to think of something easier to handle/find/store than the laminated items)
    *shrug*

9. jerry33

It's hard to come up with something easier than the laminated cards. I don't think the display is a good choice because you can't assume the person will know how to use the display, or even that the information they want is on the display. In a printed owners manual isn't good either because most people never read it. The adaptor is kind of small and people aren't used to looking in a location like that for instructions. I'm sure Toyota tried to think up of some other way too rather than spend the money for laminated cards.

With the Tesla delivery you get a couple of hours of instructions, but I'm not sure how many of the finer details they go over, and hearing something once doesn't mean you'll remember it tomorrow--especially if it's something you wont use that often.

The basic problem here is that everything is easy, and even intuitive, once you know how to do it, but before you learn it's difficult. Most technical items come with a "quick start" guide (and people still don't set the clock on their DVD player).

10. strider

strider Active Member

Remember that the complicated steps are only if you're using J1772. If you're using a Tesla charger you simply grab the cable, push the button on the cable, the car queries the fob and, if present, opens the charge port door. No need to touch anything inside the car or futz w/ anything outside. I have used a non-Tesla charger exactly twice in 2 years of ownership, and one of those was just to test the J1772 adapter.

11. GSP

GSP Member

I hope that Tesla adds an option for a J1772 charging port. That way I could just use my existing Aerovironment EVSE at home without fussing with an adaptor every time. I probably could get a HPWC, or an extra UMC, for about the same money as the native J1772 option, but I prefer to be able to use any "charger" with any car, instead of a Tesla specific one and a different one for other EV(s). Also I would not need to connect an adapter to to the car first, or was that to the J1772 station first? KISS.

The J1772 outlet could be added to the passenger tail light, leaving the Tesla port available for supercharging. Tesla may do the same thing for Europe, to get the Mennekes 3-phase port, and still have supercharging available.

GSP

12. jerry33

Agreed, but because it was brought up within a few days of receipt of a Model S...

13. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Why don't you just leave the adapter on your EVSE? How much for an extra?

14. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

Yes, we just leave our J1772 adapter connected to our Clipper Creek CS90 and have a second adapter sitting in the trunk. Henry's can adapter works very well permanently attached to a home J1772 EVSE. The Tesla cord type adapter is a little bit more of a pain to leave attached because you have the J1772 part of the cable sitting on the floor and it adds some bulk and extra care to move it around when pluging in or out.

15. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

ggr and others, unless I'm missing something, isn't the futzing necessary only with walk-away locking? Without that, it's no different than plugging in any EV or filling up a gas tank, right?

If so, why not disable walk-away locking if you are a regular public charging station user to keep things simple?

16. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

If you keep the adapter in the rear of the car, and you open the rear to remove the adapter, won't the car stay unlocked if you leave the rear hatch open unitl the charging has begun?

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Question: When using the J1772 adapter, does the adapter "lock" to the car when the car is locked? And further, does the J1772 charge cord also lock to the adapter?

I'm thinking (hoping) that the adapter locks, but feel that the charging station's J1772 cord probably shouldn't. I wouldn't want someone to come along at a public charging station and unplug the cable only to have the adapter come out of the car too. But if my car is charged, it is not unreasonable to expect another EV driver to want to switch the cable to their car.

18. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That's cool, but I was thinking of public charging stations with J1772 cords. The only thing that would be mine is the Tesla adapter.

Your device would be great when I have to use my own UMC to connect to a NEMA 14-50 at a camp ground, or a wall plug at a hotel.

20. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Regarding Solar City Estimates:
    Several of us have been bothered by the 14 page binding contract required to get Solar City to come to the house for an onsite estimate (Onsite Audit, per Solar City). Said by the rep to be non-binding, but it has more legalese than I have ever seen for a non-binding estimate. While the estimate on the phone is quick and easy, it is subject to changes (read: increases - appendix #4) onsite, so no estimate is meaningful until they have seen the site and the actual install. I could not get them to come until I signed it - I did - but it was predated a month. Anyway, not a warm and fuzzy feeling. feedback welcome - thanks.