Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Query

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gb048030

Mar 20, 2020
UK
Hi,

I am posting this to the clever folk out there. What happens when a Tesla reaches it charge ?;

1. It reaches charge at whatever the charging level is set to (daily or trip)
2. Charging stops
3. Whilst remaining plugged in, I notice that the Tesla still then uses (battery power ?) as over time the range drops according to the app.
4. If I leave it long enough it will drop below the charge level setting and start charging again (but not for long because it reaches the charge level setiing pretty quick.
5. We return to point 3 above and then repeat.

In this way we could be charging/stopping/charging pretty regularly if the car doesn't move, is that how it works ?

I mention this because the other day my Tesla stopped charging from 32A Rolec wallpod but was ok on 13A. It just so happens I had a spare wallpod that was going elsewhere and swapped it and all is well again. But in these times where the car is hardly moving, if this is how charging works, then there is going to be pretty regular small bursts of charging as the threshold drops is boosted and then drops again ... I wonder if that what blew the Rolec wallpod ... have I got this right ?

Dave UK

Yes that is how it works. Your Tesla will occasionally "wake up" to top off the charge while plugged in.
Thanks, depending on how regulary it wakes up and depending how long the car is sitting not moving I guess this would put the wallpod into more regular quick bursts of charging and perhaps stress component life in the wallpod ? .. just a thought ...

Thanks, depending on how regulary it wakes up and depending how long the car is sitting not moving I guess this would put the wallpod into more regular quick bursts of charging and perhaps stress component life in the wallpod ? .. just a thought ...

No more than would stress any other device that uses electricity like that, like a refridgerator or a pool pump / heat pump / air con

If in fact its "urning out your wallpod", you will want to look at the cabling between your breaker box and the wallpod, and the outlet, etc. It should not provide any more stress to your charging equipment than it is designed to deal with. If it does, the issue is either a badly designed product (unlikely) or, some issue between your main service panel and where the "wallpod" is (breakers, thickness of electrical cabling, etc).