TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging question about CHAdeMO & L2 adapters

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by theflyer, Sep 18, 2016.

1. theflyer

theflyer Member

I took delivery of my 2014 Model S on Friday and I've been trying out various charging options to make sure I know how to work everything. I've had significant difficulty with CHAdeMO and I'm confused about something related to the L2 adapter. I've read the CHAdeMO manual as well as the primary Model S manual and not seeing an answer to the following areas of confusion for me. That's not to say the answer isn't in the manual(s), just that I didn't see it.

Getting the blue chargeport-ready light to come on?
    For the connector to be accepted and locked-in by the charge port, the charge port light needs to be blue. I'm confused as to how to make the charge port active. When I charge normally, the charge port seems to detect my charge cable and turns on. However, with the CHAdeMO that doesn't seem to happen. I was able to successfully get the charge port to show blue once by cycling the car ("on" and "off"). This seems kinda kludgy (not very Tesla-like) and I'm not convinced I truly understand which action I took actually did the trick.

For the L2 charging adapter, the problem is much the same. There is no "release" button when using an L2 charger and adapter like there is with the standard Tesla charger cable and plug. How do you have the Tesla release (unlock) the adapter so it can be removed from the charging port. I had a lot of difficulty releasing the adapter tonight when I was charging from a ChargePoint station.

In summary, the primary questions I seek insight on are:
    1. What are the specific steps available to enable the charge port so it is ready to accept and lock-in a plug (blue light around the charge port)? I'm especially looking for steps to enable the port when the plug itself is not yet powered (i.e. the CHAdeMo process doesn't enable power until everything is already in place).
    2. What are the specific steps that can be taken to unlock the chargeport so the plug can be removed? I'm again thinking mostly for scenarios where you are using an adapter (like the L2 adapter) for which there is no button to push to initiate release or when the charging station has shut off because you reached charge cutoff.
    I'm sorry if these are terribly noob questions that are obvious to others but I would definitely appreciate pointers.

Thanks in advance

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

On some public chargers, there is a START button.

On Tesla ones, those chargers have that button that open the charging port, on public ones, you can achieve the same thing by opening the port on your car, or pressing and holding the trunk button down.

3. theflyer

theflyer Member

Thanks AEdennis, but it's not the charge port door I'm struggling with, but the charge port itself. I open the charge port door, but the charge port is not lit blue.

4. SSD420

SSD420 Member

I learn new things about my Tesla every week! Thank you for the tip about holding the trunk button!!

So by holding my trunk button down, this will unlock the port rather than having to go to in car console and physically pressing unlock on my oversized iPad of a console ?

5. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#5 stopcrazypp, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    A quick google found some of these threads and a review with pictures that hopefully will help:
    CHAdeMO | Tesla Motors
    Review: Tesla Model S CHAdeMO Adapter

Things to note:
    1) You can connect the adapter to the CHAdeMO first or to the Tesla first. Officially the default way is to CHAdeMO first, but some chargers (Greenlots was raised as an example) prefer to Tesla first.
    2) For the CHAdeMO connectors with the silver body and black lever, remember to press the lever to lock the connector to the adapter.
    3) Remember to press the start button on the charger itself.
    4) It does appear that powering off and locking the car before pressing start on the charger helps to get the connection going more reliably.

6. theflyer

theflyer Member

Thanks, but this doesn't answer my question either. Everyone talks like it is trivial to connect the adapter to the car. My struggle is this connection process

7. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

When the charge port door initially opens (by pressing the screen, UMC button, HPWC button, or holding down the trunk button the on fob) the charge port lights up and the charging locking tab goes down to allow the insertion of the charger. If you do not insert it within a certain amount of time, the charge port light goes out and the locking tab goes up (so you can't insert the charger). You have to repeat opening the door (even if the door is open) to get the tab to go down again, and for it to light up again. It's the same for removal. Since the tab is locked inside the charger, you have to press the UMC button, etc. to get it to release. On most public chargers, using the adapter, pressing the button on the public charger will unlock the tab -- but not all. So I use the fob instead since it's easier.

I note you have a 2014. So do I and mine was made in early 2014 and the locking tab was defective, which caused me problems. If it doesn't work as stated above, your locking tab may be defective and you should have service check it out.

8. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which one is your issue. Do you mean physically connecting (as inserting the connector into the port or CHadeMO connector) or only about the lights?

If it's the lights, the thread I linked addressed that:
    CHAdeMO | Tesla Motors

9. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

That's right. If I understand your problem correctly, this will solve it. Hold the trunk button on the fob for about three seconds and it will unlock the charge port. (And open the charge port door if it's closed.) Then you can insert or remove whatever adapter you're using.

When it comes to the J1772 adapter, the easiest way to remove it is to pull it out at the same time as you pull out the J1772 plug. With one hand, press and hold the release button on the plug. With the other hand, hold the J1772 adapter. When you hear the "thunk" that indicates the charge port has unlocked, pull both out together. After they're out of the car, remove your adapter. But if you don't, the trunk button on your fob is the simplest fix.

10. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

11. AndreSF

AndreSF Member

The L2 EVSEs do have release buttons typically. You push that release button when done charging, wait for the car port to light up white and pull cord (including J1772 adapter) out. Typically, using two hands works better than attempting with one to keep Tesla adapter engaged with J1772 charge cable connector.
    There are some resources on this specific process online, here is one example:

• Informative x 1
  12. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

If your charge port isn't unlocked when it should be, tap "unlock charge port" on your charging screen.

13. theflyer

theflyer Member

All, sorry for the delay in responding. I stopped by the Tyson's Service Center yesterday for some help and they conveyed much the same as above, which I hadn't been able to see until now. Thank you to everyone for the useful responses. The issue I was having was that we were futzing around so much that the port went to sleep (blue light off). The Service Center folks showed me how to use the fob to reset/re-enable the charge port and how to use the adapter.

So between the responses above and the Service Center's help, I think I now have it seared into my neurons how to turn the charge port on if it goes black.

Thanks again for all of the great responses.