Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging question for MYP - home and work chargers available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It says “free“ on Tesla’s site and I asked the hospital and they said it‘s free… but who would be billing me? Are there charger set ups like this (without any way to make a payment) that charge you later?
My bad. Forgot those are Gen2's. They can't do 'surprise' billing anyway!

Gen3's can indeed be set up to bill through Tesla similar to a supercharger, I understand.

It says “free“ on Tesla’s site and I asked the hospital and they said it is free… but who would be billing me? Are there charger set ups like this (without any way to make a payment) that charge you later?
Gen 3 wall connectors have the ability to directly bill the user. If those are really capable of 16 kW then those would be gen 2 and wouldn't have billing functionality built-in. Can you tell if the front plate is gray plastic (gen 2) or white glass (gen 3)?

I've only ever heard of one of those gen 3 in existence (at a condo or apartment complex) that charges for charging but there will be more in the future. Hopefully those will remain free for employee/customer use.

They are definitely Gen 2 now that I look at photos. I’m only at the hospital about 11 days a month anyway… but this 150mi commute and the ability to charge at home are some of the biggest reasons I’m going EV. So finding these was an unexpected benefit.

They are definitely Gen 2 now that I look at photos. I’m only at the hospital about 11 days a month anyway… but this 150mi commute and the ability to charge at home are some of the biggest reasons I’m going EV. So finding these was an unexpected benefit.
Another then I didn't mention is that once you get used to the commute and the weather is good, you could cheap out at home some nights and not always charge to 90% if you are confident you'll be able to charge at work. For the first 18 months that I had a Tesla, I always charged for free at work. 😇 While that helped keep our electric bill low, it actually hurt us when we installed solar since our lower usage meant we weren't allowed to install a large enough solar system. We expanded the solar to cover the increased usage but then I started working from home so now we have a huge surplus of solar generated electricity that gets us through the winter months. :D

Reactions: Jbapckfan
Another then I didn't mention is that once you get used to the commute and the weather is good, you could cheap out at home some nights and not always charge to 90% if you are confident you'll be able to charge at work. For the first 18 months that I had a Tesla, I always charged for free at work. 😇 While that helped keep our electric bill low, it actually hurt us when we installed solar since our lower usage meant we weren't allowed to install a large enough solar system. We expanded the solar to cover the increased usage but then I started working from home so now we have a huge surplus of solar generated electricity that gets us through the winter months. :D
Yeah I usually only work two shifts in a row but was planning on doing this in between once I am more comfortable with the actual range I’ll get for my own driving habits and tires. That being said, while I will be saving probably $250/mo in gas I certainly didn’t buy a $60k MYP to “save money”.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I suggest charging to 90% at home and also charging as much as possible (up to 90%) at work. Your cost per mile for your commute for electricity will be cut in half.

I had a similar commuting scenario when I drove a Chevty Volt. I would arrive by 8:15 A.M. to ensure I was able to plug in at one of the available charging spaces. I needed 3 hours to fully charge the Volt for the trip home. I made it a point to always move my vehicle at noon or as soon as I received a text notification that charging had been completed. I never left my vehicle plugged in for more than 3 or 4 hours before moving the vehicle to another parking space.
I would charge to 65% at home (just enough for a round trip) and 90% at work... that way you are paying for less than half of the power you use to commute. If you find that you are the only one that uses the chargers at work, go to only charging at home on the weekends.

I have charging at work, and for BMS calibration reasons I charge to 60% during the work week at work each day, and then on the last work day I charge up to 90% and get a good portion of my weekend driving for free as well... then I charge at home (if needed) to just enough to make it in to work on the first work day of the week.

Keith

PS: Two chargers at work, one is reliable the other one faults out half the time... but there are only two of us with EV's and we share the working plug if the other one flakes out.

I would charge to 65% at home (just enough for a round trip) and 90% at work... that way you are paying for less than half of the power you use to commute. If you find that you are the only one that uses the chargers at work, go to only charging at home on the weekends.

I have charging at work, and for BMS calibration reasons I charge to 60% during the work week at work each day, and then on the last work day I charge up to 90% and get a good portion of my weekend driving for free as well... then I charge at home (if needed) to just enough to make it in to work on the first work day of the week.

Keith

PS: Two chargers at work, one is reliable the other one faults out half the time... but there are only two of us with EV's and we share the working plug if the other one flakes out.
Awesome, thanks. Yeah, reading some of the real-world ranges makes me extremely skeptical that I could round trip at 65% at 75-80mph and generous a/c usage. Will find out soon enough.