Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging question model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Im a new member, just signed up actually, and Im wondering if anyone can answer a quick question?. Im currently looking at my first purchase of a tesla model S. Im looking at a 2014 85kwh model S from Telsa CPO program. I called tesla directly for an answer who referred me to the regional representative to email. I did email the representative and havent recieved a response so thought I would post.

My question pertains the addition of a second or dual charger into a model S. I see I can purchase one on Tesla's site, its shipped to my local service center and installed. My question is can any model S have a dual charger installed? Does the S need to be a certain model, year or have certain options in order to have the dual charger installed?

I appreciate the information. I realize the dual charger is not always needed but I drive on average 40k miles per year or 150-150 miles per day. Im thinking the additional charger would come in handy on the road at charging stations that are not superchargers. Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Im a new member, just signed up actually, and Im wondering if anyone can answer a quick question?. Im currently looking at my first purchase of a tesla model S. Im looking at a 2014 85kwh model S from Telsa CPO program. I called tesla directly for an answer who referred me to the regional representative to email. I did email the representative and havent recieved a response so thought I would post.

My question pertains the addition of a second or dual charger into a model S. I see I can purchase one on Tesla's site, its shipped to my local service center and installed. My question is can any model S have a dual charger installed? Does the S need to be a certain model, year or have certain options in order to have the dual charger installed?

I appreciate the information. I realize the dual charger is not always needed but I drive on average 40k miles per year or 150-150 miles per day. Im thinking the additional charger would come in handy on the road at charging stations that are not superchargers. Thanks in advance.

Cars with old fascia can be upgraded to dual charger. The new cars can upgrade from 48A to 72A charging at the service center through a software upgrade I believe. Either cars will be able to charge faster if you are willing to spend the extra cash.

Cars with old fascia can be upgraded to dual charger. The new cars can upgrade from 48A to 72A charging at the service center through a software upgrade I believe. Either cars will be able to charge faster if you are willing to spend the extra cash.

Thankyou for the quick reply. My understanding is the new fascia is 2016 model? So if I should be safe with a 2012-2015 model S to accept the dual charger upgrade in hardware. Anyone have a guess on the software upgrade cost for the 2016 model?

Thanks again.

Additionally, on the classic fascia Model S, the second charger is physically installed. You might want to take delivery of whatever CPO Model S you want. Some have reported, earlier, getting "extras" that was not listed, so roll the dice. I have a dual charger Model S, but often charge at 30A.

Additionally, on the classic fascia Model S, the second charger is physically installed. You might want to take delivery of whatever CPO Model S you want. Some have reported, earlier, getting "extras" that was not listed, so roll the dice. I have a dual charger Model S, but often charge at 30A.

Good idea. Will the second charger be listed on the screen so I know its installed? Do you drive considerable distances and had the charger installed or did you luck out with a cpo?

Good idea. Will the second charger be listed on the screen so I know its installed? Do you drive considerable distances and had the charger installed or did you luck out with a cpo?

Easiest thing to do is to plug into a known HPWC running greater than 40A... if it is, your dual charger car will charge at the higher rate... if it is not, it will charge at 40A...

The big question is why you think you need dual chargers? Supercharging bypasses the chargers....

Before paying extra for dual chargers, look at Plugshsre or the Tesla destination charging map to see if there are high amp (>40A) charging stations that you would use where you're going. Most public J1772s are only 30A so dual chargers don't help with those. Even if you drive 150 miles/day if you're back home each night and plug in you're not likely to benefit from dual chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: Dithermaster
Time is your most valuable asset - I would error on the side of the highest capability you can charger wise if you will have a hpwc at home with a 100amp circuit - you will charger at a rate of 58 miles per hour with dual chargers.

It makes sense to wait until you get the car to see if you get a "freebie" though

Hello,

Great reponses thank you. An honest answer is Im not sure if I need the additional charger. Im just starting my research and dont want to purchase a model S I couldnt upgrade if I needed.
My average drive is the 150 marker/day. Today was 257, tomorrow is lighter about 90. Im just considering if im charging on the road and need to make the next appointment and increase in charging speed might come in handy. I live in NJ, the state which is against Tesla direct sales though we do have at least 4 supercharger stations I have found on the turnpike. I do find a great deal of local municipalities that offer charging but not superchargers. My intention is to purchase the car, drive it and see how it goes. The irony is a drive an f150 and spend 7k a year on gas. Yes we all have a lightbulb moment, mine just took 42 years to arrive.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Thankyou for the quick reply. My understanding is the new fascia is 2016 model? So if I should be safe with a 2012-2015 model S to accept the dual charger upgrade in hardware. Anyone have a guess on the software upgrade cost for the 2016 model?

Thanks again.

I had questions and concerns about a lot of things. Called the CPO rep. They can see a lot more info about the cars than what is listed on the CPO site. For instance, some cars have parking sensors and some don't. The one I placed a deposit on has the parcel shelf which isn't listed on CPO either. My experience, with two CPO reps, is Tesla won't give service history on a CPO but one rep looked at the history to let me know if there were any fender benders etc. before placing deposit and getting car fax.

I have used the dual chargers quite a few times on trips. When you need them, you'll be glad you have them. The only CHAdeMO chargers where I travel are local, so I never use them because there's no point when I can charge at home. It all depends on where you travel.

L3 chargers are dc and don't use the onboard chargers anyway.

Most L2 chargers are under 40a anyway.

Just my experience, but with how quickly the SC network is being built out, dual chargers is a rarely needed feature.

Ok so the dual chargers only come into use at certain amperage charging stations? I realized the SC bypasses them but I assumed all other charging stations would just charge at twice the speed. Im guessing this is wrong.

I had questions and concerns about a lot of things. Called the CPO rep. They can see a lot more info about the cars than what is listed on the CPO site. For instance, some cars have parking sensors and some don't. The one I placed a deposit on has the parcel shelf which isn't listed on CPO either. My experience, with two CPO reps, is Tesla won't give service history on a CPO but one rep looked at the history to let me know if there were any fender benders etc. before placing deposit and getting car fax.

Thanks BV,

I will try the CPO rep again. Im sure they are swamped witth inquires.

Ok so the dual chargers only come into use at certain amperage charging stations? I realized the SC bypasses them but I assumed all other charging stations would just charge at twice the speed. Im guessing this is wrong.
Dvm04:
I've owned Model S's for over 3.5 years and driven all over the US and Canada (85,000 miles). I didn't have dual chargers. The only place they would have been useful is in Canada where Sun Country has many 72 amp chargers which allow you to travel off the SpC network. The only other use for them is if you travel a lot around your home base and need a fast recharge during the day, then having a HPWC plus dual chargers may be worthwhile.

Your guessing is very wrong. Please reread my post above where I told you the only situation they are used. You might also search for the threads here on dual chargers where people discuss their value or not ad nauseum
Also you don't have to decide this when you buy the car. You could order a dual charger to be installed at the service center at any time.

Ok so the dual chargers only come into use at certain amperage charging stations?

Yes, the EVSE has to be over 40 amps for the second charger to kick in. When it does, it splits the current between the two. This means, for home charging, that if you charge at 50 amps, each charger is only charging at 25 amps so they run cooler than a single one at 40 amps. With the new "hardware is always there" system, I'm not sure if that still applies.

Last edited:
Your guessing is very wrong. Please reread my post above where I told you the only situation they are used. You might also search for the threads here on dual chargers where people discuss their value or not ad nauseum
Also you don't have to decide this when you buy the car. You could order a dual charger to be installed at the service center at any time.

Ok, I understand and thank you for the response. I did go back and re-read what you wrote. It was not clear to me these are the only situations they are used. It is now clear.