Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi folks.
Went to a local 43 kw charger but noticed my car was limited to 50 miles per hour which I think is 16 kw.at 24A and 240v.
After a little research I've seen that some cars have a 22kw on board charger upgrade and others have 16.5 kw like mine.
Am I right in thinking it's because I'm using an ac charger.whereas the tesla supercharger is dc and can give 120kw.
Just confused as to why it's charging slower than it should.

hi folks.
Went to a local 43 kw charger but noticed my car was limited to 50 miles per hour which I think is 16 kw.at 24A and 240v.
After a little research I've seen that some cars have a 22kw on board charger upgrade and others have 16.5 kw like mine.
Am I right in thinking it's because I'm using an ac charger.whereas the tesla supercharger is dc and can give 120kw.
Just confused as to why it's charging slower than it should.

If you're at a 43 kW charger, to get the fastest speed, you will need the CHAdeMO adapter to connect your car via DC...

Correct!

As the Supercharger delivers DC the onboard charger is completely bypassed so it has no bearing on the charge speed.
When you use AC, the onboard charger has to convert this to DC for the battery to be able to store it so no matter what the power of the supply, you will always be limited by the onboard unit.
If you change your display units to Energy instead of Miles I think the charging display will actually show you the kW the car is charging at? This might help you figure out what your onboard unit is?

Compared to the price of the car it’s peanut though, and the next fastest way to charge your car after a Supercharger. I’d much rather charge at 43kW than 16kW.

A valid point but if the OP doesn't use it much it would end up increasing the cost to charge massively.

I may end up getting one at some point but will likely only use it two or three times a year, so over four years, each charge would cost an additional £40. Yes it's peanuts, but electric cars are sold on the premise of cheap running costs...