TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging question

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Jayrod, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

i did a search but couldn’t find the exact answer.

I did the Nema 14-50, 50 Amp Breaker, what amp should it be charging at? Breaker is getting pretty hot at 32. I’m almost thinking kill the breaker and get the electrician back out. It defaulted to over 40 for some reason. I guess you have to change it before you plug it in?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

What are you charging with, the UMC that came with the car? The old version’s max is 40 and the circuit’s max is 40 for charging. The breaker has to be 50. If it’s hot at 32, something is definitely wrong.

• Like x 3
  3. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

Before you plug in the first time at that location, it probably showed 48 amps in the car. Once you plugged in, it should've automatically lowered to 40 amps or 32 amps if using Tesla adapters.

• Informative x 2
  4. boaterva

Exactly. I’m trying to see how it ever actually went over 40....

5. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

Yeah so charger and adapter that came with it. It said 48 when i first plugged it in but not sure if it was actually charging there. I lowered to 32. Slight hum and fairly hot breaker. I'm going to have them come out and check.

• Like x 1
  6. boaterva

As was said, the UMC that comes with the car can’t do more that 40. The current version can’t do more than 32. What it was saying was that your car can charge up to 48 amps. If you look carefully at it it shows the max capable and then the actual amps in use.

But if the breaker was at all hot at 32 or 40, the circuit needs looking at. Have the electrician look at it while the car is charging.

7. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

Thanks for the info, yeah I called them up and they are coming out today. From what I’ve seen it is either a bad breaker or lose wiring. They did mention a string of bad breakers lately.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

Update, breaker was bad. Replaced and everything seems good. Thanks for the help.

• Like x 3