Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i did a search but couldn’t find the exact answer.

I did the Nema 14-50, 50 Amp Breaker, what amp should it be charging at? Breaker is getting pretty hot at 32. I’m almost thinking kill the breaker and get the electrician back out. It defaulted to over 40 for some reason. I guess you have to change it before you plug it in?

Yeah so charger and adapter that came with it. It said 48 when i first plugged it in but not sure if it was actually charging there. I lowered to 32. Slight hum and fairly hot breaker. I'm going to have them come out and check.
As was said, the UMC that comes with the car can’t do more that 40. The current version can’t do more than 32. What it was saying was that your car can charge up to 48 amps. If you look carefully at it it shows the max capable and then the actual amps in use.

But if the breaker was at all hot at 32 or 40, the circuit needs looking at. Have the electrician look at it while the car is charging.

As was said, the UMC that comes with the car can’t do more that 40. The current version can’t do more than 32. What it was saying was that your car can charge up to 48 amps. If you look carefully at it it shows the max capable and then the actual amps in use.

But if the breaker was at all hot at 32 or 40, the circuit needs looking at. Have the electrician look at it while the car is charging.

Thanks for the info, yeah I called them up and they are coming out today. From what I’ve seen it is either a bad breaker or lose wiring. They did mention a string of bad breakers lately.