Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

drmanny3

Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2014
Santa Barbara, CA
I am soon getting a used 2020 model X from a private party. I want to utilize the Tesla Supercharger charging stations. What do I need to do to be able to charge the car? Is there an account that is set up? Very much a nubby question. Thanks. The car is the long range plus. How does that differ from the long range version. Mine had a lower MSRP? Was that just because my car has smaller 20 inch wheels vs the 22 inch wheels?

I am soon getting a used 2020 model X from a private party. I want to utilize the Tesla Supercharger charging stations. What do I need to do to be able to charge the car? Is there an account that is set up? Very much a nubby question. Thanks. The car is the long range plus. How does that differ from the long range version. Mine had a lower MSRP? Was that just because my car has smaller 20 inch wheels vs the 22 inch wheels?
You should create your own Tesla account online. You then can add your car in by submitting the proof of ownership.

Until then, if the car is not associated with a credit card, you won't be able to Supercharge (The prior owner might remove the car from Tesla account).

What if anything can I do as far as charging away from home while waiting for the registration process? The car is coming from Carvana and they don’t start the registration process for 7 days which represents the time for me to make sure I like the car. So I won’t have a registration document, only temporary registration.

What if anything can I do as far as charging away from home while waiting for the registration process? The car is coming from Carvana and they don’t start the registration process for 7 days which represents the time for me to make sure I like the car. So I won’t have a registration document, only temporary registration.
That sounds like a question for Carvana.

You can also use non-supercharger public stations such as ChargePoint. Go online and register with them, and others of interest. Here is the link to ChargePoint: